My current employer says that I will get to learn to do duct sizing as time goes on, and that we will leave it to the estimator/designer to size the system.

I want to learn NOW! He said he will send me to classes next year to help.

I want to be more valuable, knowledgable, and competent.

I want to learn specifically how to size the duct system to each room of a house.

I want, I want, I want...man I sound like a little kid?

Is there anything I can do in the mean time to further the process? Are there any programs for my computer that will help?

Buy a book and a Ductulator and read all you can . Look at the top of the page for the HVAC calculator on sale now, only at this site

besides all you really need to learn right now is how to get busy and install it as quick as you can. you can build your home after hours

#1 way to learn... ask questions while you are busy installing the duct. Hopefully you're working with some guys who really know thier stuff.

#2 read books. Do a search on here and you'll find many many books that are reccomended. Also if you are at the supply house ask them for one of their ductulators. They typically aren't the high dollar version, but they still work the same.

Thanks for taking an interest in your job and wanting to learn how to do things right, we need more of that attitude.

I got my Ductulator (and textbook)at the bookstore of the community college i am going to.

You mite try contacting Don through this web site and ask him if he knows where you can get an HVAC calculator

Here is a link to the duct design bible. It's the only way to learn. http://www.accaconference.com/Mercha...egory_Code=SDR
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

There is only one correct way, Manual D by ACCA.
    Don't get caught up with rules of thumbs etc.. Learn it right the first time.

It's amazing how many folks have a ductaltor and use .1"wc. friction loss for sizing.

Unless you know the available static pressure .1" w.c means nothing, and more time than not is incorrect for the application.

You sound eager, I like that. Do it right.
    Steve

I learned it from the Community College in my town at night. Check if your community college has the course. there I learned from a Man J book and a Man D book. This has been very helpful to me working as a tech and now doing estimating. I have Right Suite installed on my laptop and I can do a load right on site design the duct show the advantages of one system vs. another system have a parts breakdown ready for the install crew to pull and do the job.

But I have a good undrestanding of the way that the system works due to learning from the books first.

It takes me anywhere from 30 min. to an hour to be completely done.

It costs a couple of hundred dollars to go to class but when your boss finds that you are doing it on your time he will be impress then you putting that knowledge to work in the form of questioning not telling someone how it won't work but rather how does it works out that way. No one likes to be shown up.

Talking

vapor_rush. Lifer is right no one likes to be shown up.And it's not polite to hurt peoples feeling or make them feel small.You know the stepping on a toe thing.But lets say your standing around in the shop at the end of the day.And lets say the thinks he knows everything guy(most every shop has at least one) get to talking a little to much trying to prove.....And bam there you are say "well whats REALLY happening".You don't need to step on toes to get that warm feeling in your gut.And a smile from the boss.And the smerks from the other guys!!!Knowledge can be very fun sometimes.Never let the curiosity die!!!!

41GASMAN

Good advise.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

it is nice to hear from someone that truly wants to learn
    it ia a rare thing these days. everyone is right on aske guestions and watch and learn. read the books take a course and ask questions. learn the right way rule of thunb doesnt always work and .01 isnt a true stadic pressure on the chart. sizing duct is not as simple as some wight lead you to think thier are a lot of factors to concider. keep trying and you will be an asset to the trade someday takes time and a lot to learn hang it there it will pay off