National Bank of Wal-Mart?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wal-Mart already offers money-transfer and check-cashing services. The next step is full-on banking. The financial services industry is terrified, but consumers might benefit.
    Wal-Mart has a reputation for squeezing out Mom-and-Pop stores and other low-margin businesses, like unionized grocers.

We will have to change United States of America to the United Wal-Marts of America.

Some how I see the rollback guy on are flag.

Wal-Mart Good idea gone bad, wiping out american business and sending the work to China.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Well, somebody somewhere did something right to create such a wildly successful business. Funny how everyone else wants to bring 'em down now that they're successful.

in the past, families could raise their kids and put food on the table in a decent house with one adult working full time. these days big business has made that virtually impossible by being driven by the shareholder. profits must continually be made at pretty much no expense. its funny how business can be so accurate to match the analysts predictions and thus, keep the share price stable if not growing. the average joe, including most here dont own shares or if they do dont own enough to make a difference, all the while their paycheck does not keep up with inflation. i say HURRAY to those big companies for being wildly successful..........or is it just a mirage, for being successful would also allow your employees to be successful and not have to work two jobs. oh and for all this, you get to pay childcare so your wife can go out and earn her share too.

Sometimes manufacturers of goods aren't so smart, though....

See, what Wal-Mart does is tell their suppliers what Wal-Mart will pay to put the suppliers' products on their shelves; oftentimes the supplier sells their product at or just above cost to Wal-Mart just for the opportunity or prestige to have it sold there.

Now, just imagine if all of Wal-Mart's suppliers finally stuck together & dictated to Wal-Mart the price at which they will sell their product to them: Wal-Mart would then either be up a creek, bankrupt or priced just the same as every other store on the planet.

Or, maybe they would cut their employees wages & benefits even further.

I was told that most of Wal Marts profits are derived from Real Estate. They move into an area and develop a shopping center in which they are the tenants and reap money off leasing the surrounding stores.
    Since Wal-Mart came to the Richmond area all the independent grocery stores and several chains have shut down. All that is left are Food Lion, Kroger, and Ukrop's. Ukrop's is unusual in that it is a privately owned chain of grocery stores that dominates the local market. They have twice the market share as the nearest competitor. They don't sell alcohol, they're closed on Sunday and holidays, and they are fairly expensive but the customer service and products are outstanding. I talked to a customer last week from out of state. She had visited Richmond with her husband during a softball tournament a couple of years ago and the thing she remembered the most was she loved Ukrop's!

Re: Sometimes manufacturers of goods aren't so smart, though....

Originally posted by special ed

Now, just imagine if all of Wal-Mart's suppliers finally stuck together & dictated to Wal-Mart the price at which they will sell their product to them:

Hmmmm, sounds like an anti-trust law violation to me

Wal-Mart is closing a store in Jonquiere, Quebec. At the moment apparently the only unionized Wal-Mart in North America. Other stores have already joined, just awaiting certification, I guess. Wal-Mart claims the store isn't doing well. This is an obvious union bustin' move which mean Wal-Mart won't be dictated to, even by it's own employees and it can't or won't compete with other stores in the area, union or not.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/25/news...rt_labor.reut/

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

I despise the fact that Wal-Marts create traffic congestion, pollution with trash all over(ever see plastic Wal-Mart bags in trees 2 miles away) and do cause smaller businesses to go down the tubes. I try to avoid wally world at all cost.

I try to avoid wally world at all cost.

Me to.

There was a special on PBS some time back about WalMart, and it wasn't good news.
    First they are not the cheapest as they want you to believe. Basicly it's a form of "bait & switch" in the simplest terms.
    They place there lowest cost products of certain lines in the isle's and advertise the low price, but most folks assume that the whole line is cheaper when infact there not.
    So the idea is to remove all competition in the vicinity of there stores so most folks will not drive further out to save on products, but pay the higher cost for convenience.

The problem with WalMart is not competition in a competitive market, they infact try to remove competition, not compete with them.

They also force their suppliers to move to China, or they will not buy from them.

WalMart is one entity that is not doing America and it's workers any justice.

the thing she remembered the most was she loved Ukrop's!
    You and I love them too!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Wal-mart is supporting China's economy more than ours. Look at our fuel cost, mainly because the oil demand from China, look at what sheet metal cost have been, mainly because of the demand from China. I know Wal-mart is not the only reason China's economy is surging, but they are definetely helping fuel it. I avoid them ALWAYS! Wake up America!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast