Thread: heat pumps

I'm new at these game and I had a call to fix a heat pump. the breaker was tripped. I didn't find any thing wrong with the electrical system. but they called me back becouse it tripped the breaker again. What am I missing?

Proper training possibly ??

What did you check in the electrical system??

Yeah you probably need to have one of the other techs in your company look at it and explain a few things to you. Fresh out of school with a new EPA card and a bag of tools is just a start.

So far you didnt tell us which breaker tripped. Air handler or outdoor unit and unless you actually used an ammeter, it will be a long road ahead. Good luck.

Hey, easy on the new guy. I'm sure you never had any problems when it come to trouble shooting,but not everybodys like you! I did use a ammeter and it was the indoor unit that tripped.

Trying to go easy. You simply stated you checked it out and then wanted to know what are you missing. How are we supposed to work with that? Did you expect an answer to such an ambiguous question to be something specific? Maybe one of the other guys has ESP or a magic wand he can wave.
    Dont get your skivvies in a wad, I took the time to read your other posts before responding which were 1. I am beginning a career in HVAC, what tools should I buy and 2. How do I find out about EPA certification. I do commend you however for convincing someone to set you free in a service truck so early in your career.

You'll get plenty of help here as long as your specific and accurate, otherwise you get what you get.

Now...

What was the amps you read? Was everyting running? (all heat strips and blower etc.) What size breaker was it? What does the rating plate call for? What size wire is run? How far? Is it single or dual curcuits? What was your voltage?
    Whats the motor rated and actual amps? Did the Capacitor check out?

Pretty much what Doc just asked, plus, did you make sure all the strips were on when you amped it out.

How long did you leave it run while you were checking it, some times the breaker will be weak and trip after a 20 minute cycle with all the strips on, but hold for a 10 minute test.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

does the air handler have aluminum or copper wire to it if not copper it is a good chance that the screws are loose and the breaker is heating up and then tripping

Are the breakers in GOOD condition? Are they warm or hot to the touch? How long does the system run before the breaker trips?
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."