Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by mikebean
    P. Student posted links to the exact "gauge" I was asking about.
    A Dwyer Magnegelic is a better device, really, as it doesn't require a fluid to operate.

You'd be looking for a low-range Magnehelic.

Cool Calender /Reminder

The best way tom remember when to change your filter is the day your electric bill comes change filter.Or if you are online as much of us are; set your calender to remind you when every month or every other month..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

I have been installing the General media filters on all furnaces we install for years and they all come with this gauge. We installed them at first but now throw them away. You turn the fan on and then adjust a screw which opens and closes a air flow opening until you get the ball in the green area. The slightest turn of the screw will move the ball to much and its hard to get it to stay in the green zone. You end up coming back in a week because its in the red and then you have to explain to the customer why they should not pay any attention to this good looking gauge.

Hey, it's a gimmick.

An expensive gimmick at that.

Look, man, just check the filter on a regular basis & change as needed.

I like the idea of the Dwyer Gauge. What pressure range would be best for a home sysyem? 0 - 1, 0 - 2 ? Also, I wanted to use the High dollar ($20 -$30) 4 or 5 inch pleated filters (I need 2)because I thought they would last longer than the $2 monthly filters and I beleived they would do a fine job of filtering. I don't want to spend $50 a month to change them every time the electric bill comes. I could spend $4 a month for 2 crappy filters at $2 each and chance them with every electric bill. Are the 4 or 5 or 6 inch deep filters worth fooling with? My goal is to keep stuff off of my evap coils at a reasonable cost. Thanks, Mike

Talking

well i dont know anything about these little "meters" but i have a dual RA and have to 2 filters.I went an bought the WATCH DOG which has A CO detector & a ANNOYING alarm that beeps to tell me to clean them ( washable) only thing is damn winter is here and it takes 2 days for them to dry so i have to make 2 trips to the basement to change the filters
    I just tell my customers to check the filter when theier int he basement doing laundry any how

OK, plan B...

It seems there have been problems with this $15 gauge due to its cheapness and imprecision. Sad to hear if this is just not quality enough to do the job. For a techy kind of homeowner, you might consider a solution which does not have those quality drawbacks.

The Magnehelic gauge is a great idea but it's a little expensive isn't it?

Shopping on Ebay you can buy a Dwyer Model 25 in the $15-25 range. For example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    They seem to be pretty common, it's the red-oil type which has been made for decades. Screw it onto the wall somewhere, using the hardware that comes with. You can locate a 1/4-inch tube takeoff in the return plenum and basically measure the pressure drop across the filter. Note what it is when a new filter is installed, and the filter will need changing when you see maybe 0.1 inch w.c. difference from the new filter.

It seems to me that changing every 30 days is analogous to changing your car engine oil every 3000 miles. Virtuous but not necessarily what the equipment needs. And having a meter to measure pressure drop, is analogous to having a BMW with an internal computer to actually *calculate* when the oil needs to be changed. Of course if someone critiques this who really understands filtration, I may have to change my analogy some <g>.

Hope this helps -- P.Student

I have the dwyer incline tube manometer, about $30. You could install that and mark the acceptable range with the included arrows- hi and low airflow limits. You would connect to supply and return to get the ESP reading.
    Esp will indicate the excact airflow- dirty filter, too many registers closed or dirty coil. After all, its airflow that kills the equipment, whether filter or closed registers.

I came up with a simple unit that would use ESP to cut on the "check" light that many tstats have, about $60 for parts out of grainger catalog. Apparently that's too much and some people would not be able to wire it in, so its in drawer now.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

The one you are looking at,works just fine,read the instructions and install it in the correct place.TTt

Angry

Originally posted by hoffa
    It costs time
    Thats the most ridicoulus(yeah,yeah) statement I`ve heard off. It takes time to wipe your ass off every time you take a **** but we still do it, right. It only takes 3 seconds: take it out, check it, put it back in if its clean. Now go back to being a couch potato.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12