+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time to leave the rat race

Post Likes

Confused

Gotta get outta this area (Washington D.C area) Wife and I decided to move to South Carolina. Would like to stay about hour and a half from Myrtle Beach. Senior HVAC mechanic with refrigeration experience. Can anyone give me any insight on job market or cities for that matter. Never been to S.C before, but that is where the dart landed. Time to make a move!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by keep it cool
    Gotta get outta this area (Washington D.C area) Wife and I decided to move to South Carolina. Would like to stay about hour and a half from Myrtle Beach. Senior HVAC mechanic with refrigeration experience. Can anyone give me any insight on job market or cities for that matter. Never been to S.C before, but that is where the dart landed. Time to make a move!!
    I think everyone is moving there whats up with this?Sc is a nice place.

Post Likes
    I don't think it's just SC in particular. I think it's the south in general.

I know many who have moved from north to south...never south to north.

I think it has to do with the weather.
    Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    For me its not the weather. the cost of living here is insane. bought a starter house 4 years ago for 125k. Appraised last month for 325k. That means upgrade house would be 500k. Dont wanna be house poor. Just wanna make an honest living and live modestly.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by square2round
    I don't think it's just SC in particular. I think it's the south in general.

I know many who have moved from north to south...never south to north.

I think it has to do with the weather.
    Could be.But there is more work in the south & it is warmer their to.

Post Likes
    For me its not the weather. the cost of living here is insane. bought a starter house 4 years ago for 125k. Appraised last month for 325k. That means upgrade house would be 500k. Dont wanna be house poor. Just wanna make an honest living and live modestly.
    So you made 200k on your house?

Post Likes
    havent sold it yet, but yes I will make 200k on the house

Post Likes
    Watch where you go in the south...the cost of housing can be just as high, or higher. Here...I couldn't afford to live in an actual house with a garage and yard. A run down house in this area would cost you over 200K...if you're lucky. New homes...280K plus, and that's inland. It's all location, location, location here.
    Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    Yeah I know. Thats why I am hoping to get some useful feedback. Its intimidating to move to a place with no contacts.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by square2round
    Watch where you go in the south...the cost of housing can be just as high, or higher. Here...I couldn't afford to live in an actual house with a garage and yard. A run down house in this area would cost you over 200K...if you're lucky. New homes...280K plus, and that's inland. It's all location, location, location here.
    Yes but you live in hilton head thats big money.You can go buy a new home in Wilmingto NC for less then 100k.

Post Likes
    I am located in Beaufort, we service HH, I am not looking for a tech at the moment, but if I can help out let me know.

Post Likes
    Hey keep it cool,
    If your interested in Myrtle Beach check with Harper Mechanical. They were advertising on Monster.com.

I'm in Wilmington, NC and it's about an hour north of M.B.
    Lots of work around here. We need talented pro's here.
    Check out our local fish wrapper http://www.starnewsonline.com.
    I was also advertising on Monster last month.
    I'm always looking for quality techs/mechs.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mardoman
    Hey keep it cool,
    If your interested in Myrtle Beach check with Harper Mechanical. They were advertising on Monster.com.

I'm in Wilmington, NC and it's about an hour north of M.B.
    Lots of work around here. We need talented pro's here.
    Check out our local fish wrapper http://www.starnewsonline.com.
    I was also advertising on Monster last month.
    I'm always looking for quality techs/mechs.
    Whats the name of your company?I live in Wilmington NC for two years.Its a nice place to live but the pay wasn't very good.

Post Likes
    Thanks, Mardoman. I saw Harper Mech on the local contractors list. I am going to start making some calls and setting up some interviews. Much appreciated!!

Post Likes
    Hey frame hvac,
    The name of my business is Refrigeration Systems {RST}.
    The pay scale is improving due to the robust economy and competition. You may want to consider this area again.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mardoman
    Hey frame hvac,
    The name of my business is Refrigeration Systems {RST}.
    The pay scale is improving due to the robust economy and competition. You may want to consider this area again.

Are you a new hvac company in town & where are you located at?I like Wilmington Nc alot but the pay was so bad I had to move $10. to $12. is the most a good installer could get in Wilmington what a joke.You have to have a J1 & J2 card & there is more code there to.Most states & towns you don't need a thing to work.All of the hvac companies,run the good installer out of town.If you ever worked for someone their then you know what I am talking about.So whats the pay like now?

Post Likes

Cool

We are not 1 1/2 hrs.from the beach but we are in Anderson, SC and looking for a commercial/residential tech.Anderson is on Lake Hartwell, is 1 1/2 hrs. from the Blue Ridge Mtns., 4 1/2 hrs from the beach,2 hrs. north of Atlanta GA & 2 hrs. south of Charlotte NC. The climate is ideal, the people friendly and housing reasonable.Let me know if you might be intrested.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jjack
    We are not 1 1/2 hrs.from the beach but we are in Anderson, SC and looking for a commercial/residential tech.Anderson is on Lake Hartwell, is 1 1/2 hrs. from the Blue Ridge Mtns., 4 1/2 hrs from the beach,2 hrs. north of Atlanta GA & 2 hrs. south of Charlotte NC. The climate is ideal, the people friendly and housing reasonable.Let me know if you might be intrested.

Whats the name of your Company? I'll Be in SC next week.Maybe I can stop in and we can chat? If you dont want it public shoot me an E-mail @ Beer Family 5 AT hotmail DOT com (no spaces) Frame, I hope you dont mind?
    If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane

Post Likes
    So, are you about 42 years of age and going through your middle age crazy phase?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in