Troubleshoot challenge!Bad transformer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service call.Furnace not working.Troubleshooted down to transformer.Checked voltage in.Verified 120 v. going in by clamping vom to black and to ground.No power out on 24v side.Replaced transformer 3 times, same result.Solutions from all welcome.Bad shipment of transformers or what?

You better recheck your meter or where your reading from. Ohm out the x-frmr.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Ohmed out all three transformers.All good.Used two different meters-same results.Read from black to furnace body to ground and complete circuit.Same results.

try checking volts to netural instead of ground. is this a multi volt trans?

did u check for neutral on incomming power

Better install an inline fuse on new transformer while working on bad transformer jobs.

Don't check nothing to ground. Always check between L1 and L2.

You should be able to check L1 and L2 right at the x-former.

If you have potental on L1 and L2 then do you have potental at R & C at the x-former.

You might want to ohm out those "bad" transformers. If they are blown, put a fuse in the low voltage side.

So how much training have you compleated?

You got me!I'm a student at a trade school and I was just wondering why three fellow students and TWO instructors could'nt figure that one out without replacing even one transformer.I had them go to neutral and they got 40v instead of 120v.I looked in ceiling and the neutral came loose from a pig-tail in juncture box.

I bet he is using a 230V x-frmr on a 110V circuit.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I've been going about a year, and if you think that story is scary- I have more even worse.

Come back and see us after your first week in the field there killer... I would seriously re-evaluate any school that has instructors who would teach checking for voltage in this manner.

I just had an instructor proudly show me an electric furnace he said only used contacters and no sequencers.I asked him to show me it and he said here it is!See!No sequencers!And straight ahead at eye-ball level were the heating coils with wires going directly - five inches away- to two sequencers. I asked him one more time if he saw any sequencers, and he said no!

Is there any way the industry can get involved directly with these trade schools? After all, these graduates are going to wind up in the field working on their equipment, so wouldn't it make sense to start leaning on trade schools by lending endorsment to good ones and setting requirements?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast