Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    <<PEOPLE! When the bloody hills are slippery, keep your wheels moving, no matter if the back end of your vehicle is waving in the wind. Steer like you were taught in driving school. I then took the hill at 35mph and it was a breeze.>>

Sorry, I'm not impressed with this line of reasoning.

You need more traction, such as that provided by chains or studded snow tires. People ahead of you are entitled to slow down or stop if they need to do so, and you need to be equipped to deal with that reality.

Similarly, driving 35 MPH on a steep, icy hill sounds like driving at excessive speed to me. You were driving too fast in order to make up for not having adequate traction to drive at a slower and safer speed.

Seattle Pioneer

I disagree Seattle,
    We aren't allowed studs and chains here but we have a large population that has no idea how to drive in the snow.

My biggest, and really only fear driving in the snow is the people here that cant do it.

Theres an inch of snow, DRIVE THAT FRCKN CAR

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SeattlePioneer
    [
    <<<Sorry, I'm not impressed with this line of reasoning.

You need more traction, such as that provided by chains or studded snow tires. >>>

Gimme a break. Chains? Studded snows aren't gonna help much in 4"-6" of snow I'm afraid.

<<People ahead of you are entitled to slow down or stop if they need to do so, and you need to be equipped to deal with that reality.>>

No they're not entitled. They need to learn how to drive or get off the damn road.

<<Similarly, driving 35 MPH on a steep, icy hill sounds like driving at excessive speed to me. You were driving too fast in order to make up for not having adequate traction to drive at a slower and safer speed. >>

Does it snow in Seattle? Because you sound like someone that's either afraid of it or not very skilled in winter driving. I also didn't say icy...there was no ice...I said slick....snowy...slushy... I wouldn't drive 35mph on ice for cryin out loud.

Gotta go put some chains on my service truck...Yikes

Average snowfall in Seattle is 8.6"
    Average snowfall in NH is 64"
    We get more snow in a few hours than Seattle gets all year.
    I've driven in this stuff. Have you?

[Edited by hvacmd2002 on 03-15-2005 at 06:46 AM]

Well, we only got about 9" (less in Boston) here in MA - but the same fools were out on the roads.

Gotta understand, we have to deal with this type weather from November through March - so why are there so many people who don't know how to drive in it! Even worse than the people who stop on hills are all the soccer moms driving their Expeditions like they are bullet proof! Hate to see it because many times there are kids in the vehicle - but I always smile when I see some SUV off on the median strip, especially when she just passed me goin' 65 with 3' of snow on the road and the wind blowing. 4x4, traction control, AWD, antilock, etc - doesn't mean a thing when you have to turn or stop in slippery conditions. I have 4X, anti-locks, traction control - doesn't mean it can double as a snowmobile!

Practice make perfect. Most HVAC guys drive a lot. You don't see alot of buses running into cars. But cars running into buses is a different story. As with everything, it's just averages. Most who drive more respond better. My patience runs thin when I see insecurity or shear fear behind the wheel of other vehicles. I have to admit. I still hate going out with my father behind the wheel. Scares the h**l out of me. He spent his life working in a printshop and then an office. Not much practice behind the wheel, but his record justifies my fear. He was always a target for someone else to hit! The first November snowfall, as a teenager, I used to take my big ole' Pontiac down to the factory parking lots afterhours and just do donuts and side slides and backup spin arounds, had a great time...never wrecked anything and got an education in return.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Did ya ever do the "Parking lot spin"

in a front wheel drive car? Crank the wheels to one side, put her in reverse and let er rip! Whooooo hoo you can spin fast! You don't do that with a full beer between your knees!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

When I was a teenager, we used to hop in my Fury III during a good snowstorm and go snowbanking. Send that car into a snowbank, and see if you could get it spinning down the hill, and see if you could come out of it. Stupid I know, but there wasn't traffic like there is now. But I believe it taught me how to drive in the snow. Not once in 24 years have I slid off the road in snow or ice.

What can you do with a full beer between yer knees?
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12