Just thinking here... Uv light mounted in duct board... Good.Bad, wouldnt do it? How about a humidifier??? I always used metal duct work but duct board is kind of intriging my mind right now...

The way I understand it you never put a UV light into ductboard. It would probably make it deteriorate faster I would think.... I don't know for sure though but I do remember reading that you are not supposed to use one with insulated flex... breaks down the plastic, I would think that it would have the same effect on the ductboard.

Don't rely on what I say though cuz I've never used ductboard.... and never will.

ttfn
    absolutehvac.

That is what I thought ,,it would break down the fiber board. Same as the sun shining on instafoam how it breaks it down. I cant seem to find any info any where on this. Any help????

I've never heard of UV lights to not be installed in ductboard. I've installed many in it.
    Get back to work.™

UV light will break down the polymers in flex and make duct board very brittle.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Originally posted by coolwhip
    UV light will break down the polymers in flex and make duct board very brittle.
    How long before the affects to ductboard make it so it needs replaced?

I only install metal duct. But when installing UV lights on existing systems, 99% of them are inch and a half ductboard, I assume this is better than one inch board when it comes to detioration from the UV light.

Get back to work.™

Originally posted by square2round
    I've never heard of UV lights to not be installed in ductboard. I've installed many in it.
    Have you ever seen a fiberglass boat that's been left out in the sun? And unlike the duct, the boat is painted.

Fortunately it would probably take years. And fortunately too UV lights don't last for years. When a customer is told that their UV is non-op, they realize that they didn't even miss it. Few care to pay to get it fixed. Or at least when I'm there that's the case.