Thread: Bryant Model 398A

Post Likes

Confused

After a major remodeling project, I had my air ducts cleaned and a furnace check-up. Nothing reported wrong. Since then, the furnace has failed to fire three times (over two months). I flip the power switch to reset and it fires right up. I had the HVAC firm that did the cleaning and check-up come out the last time it happened, without resetting the unit, and they could not find the cause, stating "since the furnace does not have a diagnostic system, I can't find the reason that it won't fire". This concerns me that a certified technician can't fix a furnace because the furnace can't self diagnose itself. He recommended a new furnace. All of these discussions were with my wife.

The furnace has worked fine for the 6 years we have lived in the house, and it only started acting up after the "cleaning and check-up". Furnace is 14 years old and we believe it had the inductor??replaced in 1995.

Any suggestions on root cause?
    Jim

Post Likes
    Find a service company, not a duct cleaning company. There could be any number of things wrong with it. A decent service company should be able to figure it out.

Post Likes
    Bryant 398A does have light for service and the fault codes are inside the door on bottom..

Most likely door switch if furnace has been working ok..
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    The company is an HVAC service company that does duct cleaning, not a duct cleaning company. Thanks for no input.

This model does not have dianostic lights and there is no door switch.

Post Likes
    The company is an HVAC service company that does duct cleaning, not a duct cleaning company. Thanks for no input.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jimmo

Wow Jimbo, if I were a betting man I'd say you just guaranteed yourself a whole lotta silence from anybody here who might have helped you...

FYI, depending on date of manufacture this furnace could have had diagnostics, and it did certainly have a door switch when it was manufactured. The suggestion to get a furnace repair company was also a good one as whomever you had clean your ducts hasn't got clue one on how to fix it... LMAO when I read they couldn't fix it because it had no little blinky light! Good luck, I suspect you'll be needing it.

Post Likes
    Actually Noob

I'd be happy to help

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hoffa
    Actually Noob

I'd be happy to help
    Well

Post Likes
    Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,silence,Silence, silence, silence, silence, silence,silence,

Post Likes

Talking JIMBO

JIMBO, You must be one cool cat.To come back with a response like that!!! But really all kidding aside.If you you use a good quality sledge hammer. I'm sure you will find the reminince of the door switch in there somewhere.Or SAY.A better idea:} maybe you might be better off going back for that refresher course in anger management!!!!
    THen maybe not.No.... NO. I got it a good quality computer course than you would know that your response was kinda like a that of a computer.YOU know........sh!!!t in sh!!!!t out.Better off with no INPUT!!!!Because your output SUCKS!!!
    41GASMAN

Post Likes
    I'd be happy to help

Post Likes
    I'd be happy to help
    So, spit it out man... what's the problem with his unit?

Oh, I see, you're waiting for Jimbo to say "pretty please"...

Post Likes
    The first step, in my step by step trouble shooting, is to have the customer aks any potential Professional HVAC techs in the Boston area sign a legal release saying they do not go by the alias Control_noob or on any HVAC internet forums.

If they do go by that alia, be sure and ask if the attitude and verbal abuse is extra or comes free with the service.

Post Likes
    The first step, in my step by step trouble shooting, is to have the customer aks any potential Professional HVAC techs in the Boston area sign a legal release saying they do not go by the alias Control_noob or on any HVAC internet forums.

If they do go by that alia, be sure and ask if the attitude and verbal abuse is extra or comes free with the service.
    I don't get it.

Post Likes
    There are few situations that will cause the control to go into a hard lockout.

Did the remodeling project involve the installation of a new digital theremostat for the furnace? Some of the older 398 control boards had "issues" with some digital thermostats, specifically types that use small amounts of the furnaces control power to power them. This small drain of the control power from the furnace will make the board think there's a problem and cause it to lockout. The one I had do this would randomly shutdown. The one constant seemed to be how long between run times. The longer the furnace stayed off between heating cycles the sooner it would lock out.

The other thing that I can think of that would cause random lockouts is if the furnace overheats a certain amount of times compared to how many times it runs. I'm not sure if your control board has this function in it, but experience tells me that the duct cleaning might have included a filter upgrade to a "special" filter that cost you extra. Some of these wonderful, save the world from dust, filters will restrict the airflow on the furnace to the point where the furnace's high limit will trip.

Good luck.

Gremlins do exist!!!!! They live in furnaces in the winter and air conditioners in the summer.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by lynn rodenmayer

I don't get it.
    LMAO, me either...

Post Likes
    sounds like some people realy dont need help at all
    seems you have hvac co that cleans your ducts but cant fix the furnace hehehehe and then you put down someone that does know what he is talking about whats up with that
    sounds like a simple fix but sorry would be in order first
    your welcome for no help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in