Thread: new house, gas or electric?

Post Likes
    we are building a new house with gas heat downstairs and a heat pump for the upstairs. there will be about 1688sq ft dwn and 827 sq ft up. there will be a vaulted great room and hardwood floors downstairs. our builder recommends a gas pack downstairs and a heat pump upstairs. should we do a heat pump downstairs as well since gas prices are so high? my wife doesn't think heat pumps can do the job because of previous experience with one, but i don't know much about it.

Post Likes
    Where do you live at?

Post Likes
    sorry, raleigh, nc

Post Likes
    Heat pump up & down.

Post Likes
    Why not have the best of both? (Duel Fuel)

Have a furnace installed with duel fuel kit and heat pump outside,the only time you would need gas is when temperature drops below 25*..

Check out http://www.am-stdcomfort.com
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    HP up and down is my recommendation as well.

Post Likes
    Don't have a gas pack installed, they are ugly. They are better suited for trailer's and commercial buildings.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Don't have a gas pack installed, they are ugly. They are better suited for trailer's and commercial buildings.

karsthuntr is right.

Post Likes
    Just throwing something else out there to think about.

If you choose to go electric (my personal opinion is HP up and down also), and this is a new house getting built, run some gas lines through the house anyway.

I'm all electric, but there's gas in my area. When I re-do the basement to put in a heat pump in, I plan on running gas to the common areas (stove, laundry room, by the water heater and furnace). I doubt I'd ever use it, but who knows what the future may bring. Maybe electric prices will jump majorly and gas will fall (lol, we can dream can't we?), or maybe the next family moving in will want gas. Of course it won't cost me a ton to do this since between me and plumbers that owe me favors we can do this. But either way it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do it when it's being built than to retrofit it later.

Post Likes

new house, gas or electric

Do consider a dual fuel heat pump / gas furnace arrangement.
    This will prbably be a more expensive option than other arrangements but one worth considering none the less.

The heat pump will probably take care of you most of the time with the gas furnace being available for those really cold spells. Additionally, alot of people, especially the better half like the "feel" of the warmer air provided by the gas furnace especially when the temps are in the teens!
    Be careful though and have a good talk with your HVAC contractor about the set point for the transfer from HP/Gas furnace or you'll see most of your energy savings go up the flue. Come Summer you'll really enjoy those lower utility bills that a HP can provide.

Post Likes
    I'm in the same situation, building a new house, trying to decide what to install.

Dual fuel has caught my eye, I'll be in an area that does not have natural gas to it. Way out there. We'll have propane.

Anyway, we are in Northern California (temp range high:110, low:20) and with electic rates so high here, and gas prices going up,
    it doesn't make much of a difference what we go with.

I was thinking of the dual fuel for a primary/backup type system.

Sorry for piggybacking on your question 'relaxandreflect'

Any thoughts on that??

Post Likes
    Given that you're starting with a blank slate, I'd suggest saving the money on all the LP setup. Put it into a better quality heat pump- variable speed, scroll compressor, and with a multistage heating element. That will get you nice discharge temperatures and still be cheap to operate.

While I like dual fuel, a good quality heat pump can do fine in this kind of climate, and it's simpler and keeps you from having to deal with an LP tank and supplier and deliveries and such.

I hear people gripe endlessly about discharge temperatures from heat pumps being wimpy, and all I can figure is that they're talking about cheap/simple/basic heat pumps with old-fasioned thermostats- I seem to remember having an apartment like that once! My discharge temp is always at least 90 degrees, and provided that you don't have too much velocity at your registers (fast-moving air feels drafty), it's comfortable even when it's blowing right on you. So as I see it, it's really just a question of putting the right heat pump together with properly sized ductwork.

Post Likes
    Well said, I wouldnt go duel feul if PL was the second. Maybe oil (I cant believe I just said that, I hate oil but some people like it). Straight HP and you should find out what efficiency you need to qualify for a rebate through the local utility.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in