Thermostat trouble

I replaced a non programmable t-stat with a Honeywell 6000 programmable t-stat on a Carrier Package Heat Pump. I do not remember the brand of the first t-stat. I checked fan only, heat, and cool modes to make sure it was set up correctly. All was well. Later, I got a call from the customer saying it won't turn off. If it is set to 70 degrees in heating it continues to heat way past that setting. When I switch it to off, the system continues to heat, fan included. The programmable won't shut off in heat mode only. I have to physically remove the stat from the sub base to disconnect power. When in cooling it operates normally. I switched thermostats, another 6000, a 4000, and a Source 1 non programmable. I switched t-stat wire directly at the unit when testing different stats. The non programmable stat will shut off when switched to "off", but still continues to heat when left to operate off of temperature. I spoke with Honeywell and they said it's a wiring issue with the unit, but the unit operated normally before I changed t-stats. I've triple checked wire connections and terminal voltage. All factory wiring is still in place, and matched the wiring diagram. The reversing valve solenoid is engaging when power is applied, and as I mentioned all modes are operational. I traced all wiring at unit to the factory wiring diagram in the unit. I confirmed 24v to relays, boards, solenoids, and controls. When I spoke with the Honeywell tech support they confirmed all functions, modes, and wiring at the thermostat to be correct. He even said he had not encountered this before. I am very puzzled at how the unit operated fine with the original non programmable thermostat, and now this problem arises when I change t-stats.
    The Carrier model # 50HJQ006---321. Serial # 0506G40519. I would like to know what brand and style of t-stat to use for this unit, and why it doesn't operate with others. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jason12000 View Post
    I replaced a non programmable t-stat with a Honeywell 6000 programmable t-stat on a Carrier Package Heat Pump. I do not remember the brand of the first t-stat. I checked fan only, heat, and cool modes to make sure it was set up correctly. All was well. Later, I got a call from the customer saying it won't turn off. If it is set to 70 degrees in heating it continues to heat way past that setting. When I switch it to off, the system continues to heat, fan included. The programmable won't shut off in heat mode only. I have to physically remove the stat from the sub base to disconnect power. When in cooling it operates normally. I switched thermostats, another 6000, a 4000, and a Source 1 non programmable. I switched t-stat wire directly at the unit when testing different stats. The non programmable stat will shut off when switched to "off", but still continues to heat when left to operate off of temperature. I spoke with Honeywell and they said it's a wiring issue with the unit, but the unit operated normally before I changed t-stats. I've triple checked wire connections and terminal voltage. All factory wiring is still in place, and matched the wiring diagram. The reversing valve solenoid is engaging when power is applied, and as I mentioned all modes are operational. I traced all wiring at unit to the factory wiring diagram in the unit. I confirmed 24v to relays, boards, solenoids, and controls. When I spoke with the Honeywell tech support they confirmed all functions, modes, and wiring at the thermostat to be correct. He even said he had not encountered this before. I am very puzzled at how the unit operated fine with the original non programmable thermostat, and now this problem arises when I change t-stats.
    The Carrier model # 50HJQ006---321. Serial # 0506G40519. I would like to know what brand and style of t-stat to use for this unit, and why it doesn't operate with others. Thanks.
    Read the site Rules.. No DIY. SORRY Call a pro!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I'm a service technician. I've read the site rules and thought someone's experience could help. If you know, please share.

Quote Originally Posted by jason12000 View Post
    I'm a service technician. I've read the site rules and thought someone's experience could help. If you know, please share.
    Then put something in your profile. I cant tell you on this part of the site. Its open to homeowners.. Need to do get pro access then we can help.

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Not to sound mean but you should be able to figure this out with a meter and probably 30 mins of your time if you did HVAC/R for a living. If your just starting out that cool too. Just put some info it that profile and follow the rules. Youll be amazed at the knowledge of the guys on this site!

Good luck.

sound to me like something is jumpered

Jason, this is the open forum part of the site and detailed tech info won't be posted because of the present rules. Read the section about applying for pro status, get your post count up fast and apply. This won't happen fast enough to help you this time around but it will be invaluble next time your stuck. Your problem sounds like a wiring or compatibility problem on your end. I don't use the 6000 series Honeywell, only 8000 and IAQ so I can't even venture a quess to provide a clue.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC dawg View Post
    sound to me like something is jumpered
    Yea, I agree. The Hack jumper or short is in the wrong place.

I know, don't get irritated it's just the rules. If you're a professional if someone called you and asked the same question you couldn't tell them for fear of them getting hurt or?
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

I could tell you a story about this problem. It ends it in not one, not two, but three meltdowns and firetrucks before I was called out and fixed it.

Get some help from a well seasoned local tech.

What are the setup settings for #1 and 3. And that thermostat should control that unit but there are still some unknowns. Also as stated above only limited info can be given here in the open forum.

did u program it to be used with the right equipment? on those th6000 or any other t-stat you need to program it for the equipment. ie go to the menu and put it in heat pump setting?

and maybe sell the customer one of those expensive carrier t-stat.
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|