Thread: oil furnances

oil furnances

Iam moving to northern pa williamsport area is their alot of oil furnances are people switching to gas. We really do not use oil down in south ga just wondering what to expect, not really familiar with oil.

Oil works really well as far as heat is concerned the only real drawback is you purchase your oil every 3-4 months at whatever the price of oil costs. It's really a side that if any service questions are needed definatly contact a tech for any repairs or if you know someone in the area that does oil service get to know 'em and ask some questions.

yes be prepared. i would suggest finding a Beckett factory plant and taking a course over there controls. the new GENISUS controll is a really good one!

I work for an oil company and let me tell you, it's all work work work. I hate them, but it puts food on the table. How I miss the days when I was a real HVAC mechanic...
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Yep, expect lots of oil burners. You'll need to learn how to work on new modern burners, and old burners(older then you are, I still work on burners that are from the early 50's).
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

kenney t Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nipperknapper View Post
    yes be prepared. i would suggest finding a Beckett factory plant and taking a course over there controls. the new GENISUS controll is a really good one!
    the genisus control is a real piece of crap. we've replaced at least 20 of them right out of box.
    my

Why is oil so popular on the east coast area. Our company in northern Wisconsin just got out of oil about two years ago, and we are swamped with lp and natural gas customers.I never had the opportunity to work on oil myself so I don't know the advantages etc with oil furnaces?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger man View Post
    Why is oil so popular on the east coast area. Our company in northern Wisconsin just got out of oil about two years ago, and we are swamped with lp and natural gas customers.I never had the opportunity to work on oil myself so I don't know the advantages etc with oil furnaces?
    I suspect part of the reason is LP isn't very price competitive in a lot of areas to oil. Here we're at $1.80 including tank rent and oil is $2.92.

So comparing a 95% AFUE LP furnace with an 80% oil we get roughly 75% of the btu from oil per dollar spent. Makes more sense here to go LP.

We are doing a lot of oil yet and its partly because some local co.s have quit working on them.

Very important to check and clean every year! And verify proper combustion. Unless you like cleaning out a sooted up mess!

its about infrastructure. in central pa, you will find lots of oil burners, and lots of oil boilers in lieu of furnaces. good work, just different. getting narural gas lines in place takes a lot of effort and committment. oil is plentifull the local refineries and cross country pipelines. it is fairly dependable and efficient. just different.

Don't sweat it, ask questions and pay attention.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM