Thread: Compatible Heat Pump

Post Likes

Question Compatible Heat Pump

Hello there,

I recently bought a house but had my external AC/heat pump unit stolen on the night of closing. Now the house has an 06-07' Carrier with model number FA4CNF042 for the air handler in perfect shape (R-22/TXV) with a factory installed heater as well. I was hoping to figure out two things. (1)Can I get any brand heat pump for the missing outside unit (2) What is the recommended tonnage for the heat pump that goes with this air handler for a house that has 1900 sq ft living space. Any other specs I should be looking for as I start my search on Craigslist and elsewhere...

I also found this document online that is the product data sheet. Of course, I wasn't sure of the info as a lay person but was hoping this will help you decipher my question.

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...t/fa4c-5pd.pdf

Kind regards and thank you all for your time!
    Tom

Post Likes
    Carrier, Bryant, or Payne.

Several sizes match it. Should get a load calc done to know what size your house needs.

Post Likes
    It is not impossible but will be very very difficult to find a new R22 unit to match with what you have left.
    You have no way of knowing if what you had is what you need size wise and now you have a chance to do everything right from the beginning.
    Let me say this in the strongest of ways.Ant equipment you buy online will not have any warranty that new units have today.What ever dollars you might save by buying online could be lost on the first service call you might have.
    What you should do is find a contractor THAT YOU TRUST.Let him or her suggest the brand and go with his/her service and work.
    He/her will have a family and business to feed and if there is trust there will be an honest price.
    Get a manuel J and a manuel D done.This will be the minimum you should ask for on a complete new R410 system.

Post Likes

Question

Hi,

I think I understand the pros on doing a load calculation but if the immediate need is to install a compatible external unit with the lowest upfront costs, what is the best course of action.

Having said that, I have found a heat pump for sale locally that is lightly used: Carrier model no: 38YRA048340. Will this work. Also got the product data sheet:

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../38yra-7pd.pdf

I also think a load calc was done by the prior owner and one document he handed me had this info.
    Number of BTU's needed: 48555
    Nominal Ton: 4.5

Thanks again,
    Tom

Post Likes
    that's not a match for the FA4 airhandler. Won't insurance cover it? You should have electric heat to give you some time to decide.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    If you don't have this done professionally, you will be miserable. You can't just slap anything in there.
    You have heat right now from the back-up. Take your time and have it done properly.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Hey, thanks much...although a little bumped. Insurance did not kick in until the next day so money is real tight. Is there any chance a website or just a few quick tips on how I can possibly figure out what will be compatible with a FA4 airhandler.

beenthere also mentioned Bryant and Payne as potentials...

One thing that I am really curious is..what is the maximum tonnage a heat pump can have with the FA4C fan coil

Post Likes
    your air handler is rated at 3 1/2 tons. But you need to be careful as there could have been a 3 ton connected to it in order to provide more humidity removal. Have a contractoe size your load. You can also use a Tempstar, Heil, ICP, as a replacement. Manufacturers are shipping condensing units that will connect to your air handler.
    Doug

Post Likes

Question

Thanks Gunslinger...so the maximum this air handler is rated is for 3 1/2 ton heat pump. And a half ton reduction to 3 ton heat pump could provide more humidity removal.

What I am thinking is hopefully get a used carrier, bryant, payne or the ones you mention (Tempstar, Heil, ICP) and find a good contractor who is willing to install.

I am slightly confused though...I was told manufacturers (esp. carrier) are NOT shipping condensing units that will connect to my R22 air handler and everyone I called said that I had to change the entire system and get a R410. Are you saying there are some manufacturers who could have some R22 stock that could make-work in my situation.

Post Likes
    A "used" heat pump and a "good contractor to install it" will be very hard to find.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Lilu708 -

You really really need to get a qualified contractor in there to make these recommendations.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    If you have the info, the original installer should have the information on what was installed and may be able to take care of your problem for you. Most will put a company label on the equipment (thats left) or sometimes on the thermostat.

Post Likes
    Most of the major OEM's are now offering or will soon be offering Dry-Charged R22 outdoor units for sale in the US. It's a known/allowed loophole in the regulations. I'd find a good contractor to track one of those down.

On the insurance front, I don't buy that. I'd challenge them on the coverage starting the next day. Insurance has to start the day of closing, otherwise the mortgage company wouldn't wire the funds to allow you to buy the house because it would be uninsured and place them at risk. I'd investigate that a bit further. It could possibly be covered by the prior owner's policy, so I'd check into that too. But my money would be on getting your insurance to pony up the money.

Post Likes

Exclamation BEWARE

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, I'm a Carrier authorized dealer I will tell you it will be very difficult to find a compatable R-22 unit from Carrier,Bryant, Payne, Tempstar, Heil or Comfortmaker. Let me warn you here in FL there have been a lot of issue with foreclosed homes and realtors having equipment stolen, there are junk companies that just replace the TXV and put in a R-410 condenser this is a fatal mistake and the coils go out after one winter season. R-410a evap coils are rated for 600 psi vs. the 300 psi for R-22 so don't fall for it. ALWAYS HIRE A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SAME WORK TWICE.GOOD LUCK
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in