Low water PSI on oil fired hot water furnace

Low water PSI on oil fired hot water furnace

Is it normal for the water pressure gauge to only read 0-5 PSI? When the furnace turns off at ~ 180F, the water pressure is about 4-5PSI. There's considerable amount of water deposits coming out from the expansion tank safety valve and a lot of gurgling in the baseboards. Based on my experience when I had a hot water furnace the gauge should always read 10-15PSI. Not looking to DIY, just determining if this is normal and, if not, how long I should wait to call a service tech. Thanks in advance.

Chris_Worthington is offline Controls Committee & Global Moderator
    Sounds like you have multiple problems. The relief should not be weeping and needs to be replaced and the fill valve is obviously not functioning either.

You need to place a service call right away

There is generally no low water protection installed on a residential boiler and running them dry can result in some really, really, really bad things happening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    Sounds like you have multiple problems. The relief should not be weeping and needs to be replaced and the fill valve is obviously not functioning either.

You need to place a service call right away

There is generally no low water protection installed on a residential boiler and running them dry can result in some really, really, really bad things happening
    Chris, thanks for the advice!

Chris_Worthington is offline Controls Committee & Global Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2007 View Post
    Chris, thanks for the advice!
    Yup and Happy News Years to ya !!!

And Mike: it's a boiler. Not a furnace

You really do have multible problems and do have a dangerous situation.You need service right away.
    While they are there,residential low water cut off is fairly cheap and easy to install.If I were you I would also have a spirovent installed These are a couple of things that could be reused on a new boilwer if that is the way you go and well worth the cost.

hydronicsman: you're right - I stand corrected

I advised my father in law to call a service rep and sure enough the relief on the expansion tank was bad along with the backflow valve. Unit was low on water but after repair pressure ranges from 15-20PSI on/off. I knew something didn't sound right that morning....

Thanks again.