furnace maintenace after 1yr?

Hello,

I have a Carrier 58UVB (2 stage, 95%) furnace which will be starting it's second year of service pretty soon. I'm just wondering if it's really necessary to have annual maintenance done on it so soon?

It worked very well last year, I just can't see what a tune up would benefit it at this point.

Here's a copy and paste from an email from a local company regarding their maintenance:

"For a furnace tune-up, we perform the following:

Check cleanliness of blower compartment, blower wheel, and filter (if blower wheel if dirty and requires removal, this is an extra charge)

Check flame sensor, temperature rise, and gas manifold pressure.

Ensure all pressure switches are operating normally.

Check furnace venting (no leaks, for improper grade)

General operation, and performance."

It's kind of disappointing that they charge extra to clean the blower wheel, is this common practice?

Should I just suck it up and do it?

Thanks for your input.

The blower cleaning is extra because its not the hvac company's fault a customer uses a poor grade or never changes the filter. In 1 year I would doubt it would need it anyways. I think the first year is important because anything like a condensate leak or something will be a problem If un checked. I always tell customers the first year is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a gas appliance that makes fire and poison gas running in your home. Most likely it is fine and has no issues. Most likely not certainly. I recommend having It serviced every year. Not a sales pitch!! I dont do residential any more, except mine, so strictly a safety thing here.

I agree, even if there is nothing wrong better to be safe than sorry and typically bi-annual or annual maintenence produces longer lasting equipment. Just make sure the Prev Maint tech is actually taking readings and inspecting your unit not crawling under the house to take a cat nap then come out and say everything looks good and collects a check.

Sounds good... I will go ahead and get it done.

Is it generally okay to be with the tech as he's doing some of this stuff, or it just depends on the specific person and whether they like to have someone watching them or not? Not that I don't trust him/her, but i'm just genuinely interested in what's being done, and i'd like to see specific numbers like during the temp rise test, and checking gas manifold pressure.

Do techs have access to warranty information for a unit? Like how much coverage is left, etc.

Thanks again.

As long as the tech knows what he's doing it shouldn't bother them to have you watching and asking questions. Tech should be able to decifer the serial number on most units to know the date of manufacture and most equipment nowadays has 10 year parts warranty and an optional 10 year labor warranty that you would buy at time of install

Quote Originally Posted by imbored82 View Post
    Sounds good... I will go ahead and get it done.

Is it generally okay to be with the tech as he's doing some of this stuff, or it just depends on the specific person and whether they like to have someone watching them or not? Not that I don't trust him/her, but i'm just genuinely interested in what's being done, and i'd like to see specific numbers like during the temp rise test, and checking gas manifold pressure.

Do techs have access to warranty information for a unit? Like how much coverage is left, etc.

Thanks again.
    Techs are individuals so whether they mind being watched or not is an individual thing. Not that it matters. In the end it's your house, your equipment, and your $$. If you wanna watch and ask questions it's your rite. Even if it bothers them a good tech will never let you know. You are the customer. You pay the bills. We work for you. But courtesy is a 2 way street so don't be too pushy