Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A/H in hot garage suggestions

It is hot here in South Florida around 90* during the day and about 100* in a hot Florida 2 car garage.I will be replacing the system in December.Purchased the home and will get attic insulation installed as currently there is none in the attic above garage.The old and I mean old A/H sits on top of a R/A box and the unit sweats and is rusty. The wood box is ok but I may need to have the top wood replaced.The rest of the box is sound.I don't want the new A/H to to have the same problem.Can someone suggest what I need to know before I speak to a HVAC Co. Can a carpenter build a wood box with a sealed access door to enclose the A/H ? And can the A/C installer add a small supply vent with a return inside the box as a way to keep the A/H cool and from sweating? Moving the unit inside the home is not what I want to do. I just need to know what my options are as I am sure there are 1000's of people in Fl. and around the country with the same A/H in a hot gararge problem. Thank-you,Splitter

well..its better than in the attic by a few degrees!
    why not build a closet around the unit and insulate the walls on the
    inside?
    make sure that the return box is sealed air tight and that all duct
    connections/plenum connections are mastic sealed and not duct tape
    or foil tape.
    these things will minimize condensation.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Sounds like a great reason/excuse to now have a conditioned 2 car garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    Sounds like a great reason/excuse to now have a conditioned 2 car garage.
    He would need to get a separate A/C to do that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks,I had in mind to build a cabinet on top of the R/A box.Is plywood ok?If so 1/2" or thicker? I intend to build the box with a front detachable access panel.As for lining the inside,what would be best to use? To circulate cool air inside should a small outlet be opened in the plenum? And can the original filter flap act as the return for the closet? Does this sound like it will solve my A/H in a hot garage? As for an A/C garage...not right now...LOL

Bad idea to A/C the closet if the access door to it is from the garage, as if the door was ever left open by accident it would draw in fumes from the garage. And those fumes could contain CO.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Bad idea to A/C the closet if the access door to it is from the garage, as if the door was ever left open by accident it would draw in fumes from the garage. And those fumes could contain CO.
    Thanks,I do have in mind safety,as the access panel will be screwed air tright with a gasket.It is only there to repair A/H if needed,it will not be a door as you may think.

My concerns are to box in the A/H that was originally built and installed in a hot Florida garage as 10's of 1000's have been done and still do to this day.I just want my investment dollars on a new unit to last and not rust out or sweat all over the garage floor. I'm sure it has been done and sure it is an option for folks like us who don't have the A/H in the home. However, I am very glad it is not in the attic where it is much hotter. Just need some good advice...

Have the installing company build a sheet metal base can for the unit to sit on the wrap it with duct wrap .also take a look t the new trane airhandlers as they dont seem to condenste as bad as other units .leave the unit in the garage
    We really need change now

Do not build anything around or enclose unit with out reading the manufactures minimum clearances specs. Never pull return air from the garage, unless it is a separate unit for garage only, keep that environment in the garage and not your home. Proper insulating and sealing of system should prevent condensation. Stress this concern to your contractor. If they know up front you are going to be looking for this they most likely will give it a few extra minuts to ensure it is rite the first time. Unfortunately this an area of install that tends to "slip through the cracks" so to speek.

Thanks.The original system build was to place the A/H in the warm to hot stuffy garage on top of a large lined wooden box. The box has a R/A grill on the wall close to the D/R wall where the filter is located and replaced monthly. As I stated I just want my new investment to perform and not sweat as the garage is hot when the doors are shut and we are away.Therefore a lot of warm air is in contact with the A/H much the same way but worst if it was in the attic. I just want to enclose the unit so the new to be inside A/H maintains a similar temperature to that of the house.There would be no safety issues as in CO etc,as the box to be built would be sealed.I just want to know can a lined and sealed wooden extended closet or a lined drywall closet work with some cool air from the A/H circulating in the built closet which will sit on the R/A box? I want to be able to know my options when dealing with a service tech.I am willing to pay the extra if I need to get a carpenter,it's just that we are on a fixed income and want to save money where we can. As I always stress,An educated consumer is someones best customer...

No problem building a closet for the AH as long as clearance specs are followed. Dumping supply air into that closet would be, in my opinion, a waste of cooling and therefore a waste of energy and money. As I said before proper sealing and insulating will prevent sweating. Also by dumping cool air into that space you are not removing any moisture but you will cool everything in that space to the supply air temp not set point. You could actually create a situation that will cause condensation on every surface in that closet. Adding equal RA from closet would take care of that but then there are more considerations to go with that. It's your stuff and your $$ so do what makes you sleep better but I think your over engineering to take care of a pretty simple issue.

Sounds like a good place for an American Standard ForFront air handler(Trane Hyperion).
    The cabinet insulation vastly superior to any other air handler on the market, so it won't sweat.
    Because it has a blow through coil, the temperature of the air inside most of the air handler is the same as the return air, there won't be the kind of issues with condensation and mold/mildew growth on the blower, and any small air leaks will be out of the air handler, rather than pulling humid/contaminated garage air into the air handler.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast