I ran into a chest freezer today that a HO wants reclaimed so they can get rid of it. It is an International Harvester from June 26,1951 and the label said it has "F-22" in it for refrigerant. I am assuming this is the same as R-22. Can anyone confirm this or enlighten me otherwise.

Thanks!

Holy geez, that thing is almost as old as I am! The "F -22" refers to Freon 22 which is Dupont's name for R-22...both are the one and the same refrigerant.
    I have seen only one chest type freezer running on R-22, it was a long time ago and I can't remember if it was from the early 50's or not. Was the compressor in your freezer an open type(belt driven)? I am not certain if any of the various manufacturers of that time period had already started using hermetic comps. I am sure a lot of the people in this room would know. Also, how common was R-22 as a refrigerant for domestic appliances back in those days? As R-12 was the refrigerant of choice for most appliances, I wonder why did at least one manufacturer obviously choose to use R-22 as a refrigerant rather than R-12?

I have a Jordon upright freezer from 1948 that uses a 1/4hp R22 condensing unit and a captube system.

Most manufacturers stopped using open drive systems on domestic in 1935.
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Chest Freezer

The compressor is hermetic not belt driven. It is quite the monstrosity. We were thinking of giving it to the local mortician. He could cold store and then bury someone in the same case. That's if it can physically be removed from the basement. The HO is talking about using a sawzall on it. Thanks for your help!