Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Came across a unit ventilator in a college today with a CCN controller. I need to change the OA cooling lockout setpoint. I called the local Carrier rep and he quoted me $1400 for a copy of the DOS version of the CCN Network Service Tool. Does this sound reasonable? Is there another way to change this setpoint. Surely it would be easier to yank the control all together and replace it with something else. This unit is not on a network and the original installation contractor is no longer in the picture. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbs up

Dap,

Rip it out. Probably do yourself a favor and save your client some $. That manufacturer you mention has never really been of any help, even during warranty and commissioning phases. Good Luck.

If you plan on working on other Carrier network devices it would be worth it for you to purchase ComfortView 3.0.
    I find it hard to believe that ther is only one u/v on site using this control type.

You actually need both service tool and comfort view, but I would start with service tool. the price sounds a little high but I don't know your mark with your Carrier distributor. As far as ripping out the controller and retrofitting the unit vent with some other controll package I have looked into it seriously, the controller is over $2,000.00 for the part, the simular tuc controller for a trane is about $250.00. None of the controlls or sensors cross, the carrier package uses 24v 3wire floating controlls on the actuators, type 2 thermistors, and a ecm motor in the blower. The Trane unit vent uses a conventional blower motot, type 1 1000 ohm thermistors, and a 0-10 v-dc controll system. As you can tell the cost of a retrofit is too expensive. Be careful with these cooling lockout setpoints, you can accidentially freeze a water coil if it has one.

Buy a 200 dollar ASC LON controller. Circon can handle the floating point and probably the stupid sensors also.

Why buy some overblown software at a ridiculous price?
    Why buy the competitors product if it can't work?

Buy something flexible. Even if you change out the sensors, who cares? They are really cheap.

It cost you more that 200 bucks to talk about it.

sysint,

absolutely right on. carrier has been pretty useless over the years when it comes to their "controls". why spend all that $$$ when you can do it for way less, and better (read "open"), with what's out there today.

but how are you boing to drive the ecm motor? it uses a pulse width modulation signal for speed controll.

Maybe you should take a look at some plugins.

For those that are interested, we contacted a Carrier service manager that came to the site and changed the setpionts for us. He also demonstrated a 'new' tool called a System Pilot that can be wall mounted or hand held and can be connected anywhere on the network. If you know the device addresses you can access all the points in each device with the keypad and LCD screen. You can even access and change settings in the stats.

Its not very fancy but quite effective and at $300+ its a lot cheaper than buying the software packages. The device is system powered with the newer CCN controllers but you need a 24v supply to use with older controllers.

I've done several recontrols on Unitvents and the bill never came to less than 3,000.00, I don't see how you could do it for anything less than that. The ones I did were typically hot water face an bypass with econ and dx,

OK hire us to do it. $2,600.00/each Sound good?

... and it it was LON to begin with you wouldn't have had to make the call or buy the $300.00 tool that only will work on a CCN system.

You could have connected anywhere on the network with any LNS access device.

Plus, the next set of U-vents could have been competively bid out.

Originally posted by sysint
    OK hire us to do it. $2,600.00/each Sound good?
    Post your hardware component numbers, and control sequence with points list for that unit and I might.

Sys, what brands do you do , DDC ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast