Thread: Condensor fan motor question

Post Likes

Question Condensor fan motor question

I hope that this doesn't seem DIY... that is NOT my intent... if anything, I'm attempting to determine if DIY has been performed... and if so, I know how to undo it... simply pull the blades off, flip them over, and put them back on...

Problem: I have a unit labled, Mfg No. = NACS036A2A1, Model No. = ACS036A2A1... I'm trying to find more information on it... I believe that the condenser tower fan was put in backwards, but am not certain. I've moved a leaf around it and it's pushing air out (upwards) around the top... but as I move the leaf inwards towards the motor (top) it starts sucking air in. Around the sides it blowing air out around the top (side), but as the leaf goes down the side, about ½ way, it stops sucking in or out... Just does nothing... So, the air around it is acting weird... I'm attempting to find a book for it...

It's been my experience so far in life, that all these condensers blow air straight up... this is the first one I've seen like this... I've never worked around one that was backward... so, I'm not certain how to tell...

Thanks...

Post Likes
    The air should be blowing out the top..straight up! If you are saying the air stops sucking in half way down the side of the coil then it sounds like you need to clean the condenser coil.. Probably dirty.

Post Likes
    If you use a smoke bottle in the air stream, you will find the air blows out the top in an inverted cone, not straight up. However, it should not suck in the middle of the top.

Do you have a wall or other obstruction around the outdoor unit?

Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    If you use a smoke bottle in the air stream, you will find the air blows out the top in an inverted cone, not straight up. However, it should not suck in the middle of the top.

Do you have a wall or other obstruction around the outdoor unit?

Thanks JackInTheBox and Kevin... I appreciate the help... at the middle of the fan where the motor is, it sucks down into the condenser coil (tower)... So, I was thinkin' that somebody installed that fan blade upside down... I'll get some smoke and see if I can get a better idea of where the air is going...
    Where are the 'Thank You' buttons... I've setup these boards before, 'PHPBB', and they usually have thank you buttons by the 'edit, quote, etc... buttons... Hmmmm... oh, well... thanks...
    Last edited by danix803; 01-01-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Harvested more data

Post Likes

Tempstar?

The numbers that you provided indicate a Tempstar condenser. I'm almost positive that the fun should be pulling through the coil and discharging out of the top. A technician should be able to verify that the orientation of the fan blades and the motor rotation are configured to provide this.
    Π r2----No, pie are round, cornbread are squared.

Post Likes
    Strange thing is that turning the fan blades over will make no difference to which way the air blows. The only way to change blow to suck is to reverse the direction of the motor.

Post Likes
    Would it not be considered good practice being a new home owner to have you're system checked out twice a year by a pro anyways?

Fairly confident that they would find and correct something like this, should there be an issue in the first place

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in