Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember this as it is profound...

Post Likes
    Remember this as it is profound...

"Your customer does not care how much you know until he knows how much you care..."

If you put this in your thoughts when dealing with customers you will be much more sucesfull..

Remember it is all about trust...

AB

Post Likes
    Are you still mad about that return deal?

Post Likes

Wink

Originally posted by andrew boyce

"Your customer does not care how much you know until he knows how much you care..."

If you put this in your thoughts when dealing with customers you will be much more sucesfull..

AB
    Also...

"You can tune a bicycle, but you can't tuna fish."
    REO Speedwagon

;-)

Post Likes
    I read on one of the other threads , a statement by 1 HO to another That the contractor does not care about the customer, and I cant help but wonder where this misconception all began.

Those Home owners are the customers that pay our bills. How did HVAC contractors get such a bad reputation?

All og the contractors I have ever worked for would bend over backwards to make sure his customers are satisfied

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ct2
    I read on one of the other threads , a statement by 1 HO to another That the contractor does not care about the customer, and I cant help but wonder where this misconception all began.

Those Home owners are the customers that pay our bills. How did HVAC contractors get such a bad reputation?

All og the contractors I have ever worked for would bend over backwards to make sure his customers are satisfied
    Me to.

Post Likes
    How did we get a bad reputation?? Hacks installing equipment helps. Then theres the guy thats more concerned with getting the job than doing it correctly. When I give a homeowner a price for a repair or complete system I tell them I want them to be happy. If you don't do what the customer NEEDS, you can expect the customer to complain. If the customer can not afford a complete fix sometimes I make them aware of any major problems then I try to get them going. Sometimes it's not worth the headache. Too many techs worry about fixing the symptom not the problem.
    Please step AWAY from the condensing unit.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by gillman-air
    How did we get a bad reputation?? Hacks installing equipment helps. Then theres the guy thats more concerned with getting the job than doing it correctly. When I give a homeowner a price for a repair or complete system I tell them I want them to be happy. If you don't do what the customer NEEDS, you can expect the customer to complain. If the customer can not afford a complete fix sometimes I make them aware of any major problems then I try to get them going. Sometimes it's not worth the headache. Too many techs worry about fixing the symptom not the problem.

How did we get a bad reputation?? Hacks installing equipment helps.

Alot of owers just hire any guy to do the work & alot of companies don't pay very well so they can't get the good guys & the guys they do get don't care about the work.

Post Likes
    The profoundness of your statement is you can replace the word "customer" with "contractor" , and it still makes sense. 96 % of my customers expect the same treatment, but that other 4% I try to see in that perspective at first, they just trip all over themselves. Great for the competition!

This should have been in tips & tricks of the trade forum.

Post Likes
    Today I ran across a perfect incident for how hvac companies get a bad name. Last Friday at 9 pm I was called to a rental property owned by the son a new contruction contractor we do tons of plumbing and hvac new construction work for. The fire dept. was out because tennants felt ill and thought there may be co. fire dept found "high levels", they never shared that number with me but when I arrived he house was opened up for ventillation and I still read 10 ppm on my meter. Inspected furnace and water heater as they were the only gas appiances, found no problems. Inspected flu, every inch right to the roof, the appliances were drafting fine, but I thought a section may have rotted through. Found no problems. Walked the outside of house for external causes and found none. Talked to tenant, the car was not idling in garage or driveway. I had to close the house and operate the waterheater and furnace. It proved out that the co rose during furnace operation, it obviously had a heat exchanger defect that was not visible. I looked the entire job over and gave a fair price for the replacement job, including a load calc. I also spent an hour on the phone to carrier to get any warranty info so landlord was completely informed of all options. After all of this time and trouble the landlord called to cancel the install, he had a company driving in from 50 miles away to do the job because they were $100 cheaper. They hadn't even seen the job and quoted over the phone. It turned out they shot themselves in the foot, ran over on time and material and charged $600 mor than myh original quote. Landlord was mad. The latter bit of info was told to me by his father we do all of the work for. The father also told me he warned his son of dealing with someone else. He was right he hurt himself. But to talk to the son, contractors are crooks. Moral, don't sell over the phone, if you mess up, admit it and eat it.

Post Likes
    I think all business are like this,its just not the hvac field I get bad service everywhere I go,its just a fast pace life,that we live.

Post Likes
    Pretty much framehvac, My friend/neighbor, who owns a small restaraunt said this. " Try to serve quality meals, and people say your only a good restaraunt. Serve 1 bad steak, 1/2 the town thinks your trying to poison them"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by andrew boyce

AB
    Yep! I heard Joe Thiesman at the Carrier Convention say that, as well as "Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice"

Post Likes
    they were $100 cheaper. They hadn't even seen the job and quoted over the phone. It turned out they shot themselves in the foot, ran over on time and material and charged $600 mor than myh original quote.

IT would be interesting to hear how much more it costs those people that do that kind of stuff. They could care less how much time they have wasted stringing you along

Post Likes
    Here in Colo. Springs we have a school that keeps pumping out HVAC techs, with no experience. In the summer, they get ballsy and post signs for ac install at a certain/ specific price. Guess who hires them? You do! When are people really going to understand that you get what you pay for? Not saying you can't get good deals but common sense people. Like someone else said, if the customer doesn't care enough to get the job done right, then how is it possible that they are going to find a contractor that will!!!

Post Likes
    I must be strange as it is never about the money to me it is about trust, quality of work and getting the best solution avail. Money is important but I will spend it to get the above..

As some of you have stated to few profesionals out there nowdays and when as a HO you ask for the best and get average it makes you lose trust.

AB

Post Likes
    Your return isn't the hvac companies fault that would be the contractor,the guy over building the house & you.You most as a home owner tell the contractor up front what you won't,then the contractor will tell the hvac contractor what to do.The job is done next time you build a house tell the contractor what you won't before the hvac guy is done.

Post Likes

WORKMANSHIP

As a homeowner I've been tightening up the duct work on a house I bought. I finally tore it all out because of poor workmanship of the installer. Reducers were made with duct tape to take up the gap and the tape has dried up and fallen off. No screws at joints, gaps in insulation, boots not insulated, holes in floor too big for boots and not sealed, limited use of hangers, main duct nailed to floor joists, many holes and air leaks. This house had a 120,000 btu furnace and 5 ton ac, it has been sized by a professional at 3.5 ton heat pump. Much of their utility cost was going outside and they were still drafty. It only takes a couple like this to cause suspision of the whole industry.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by framehvac
    Your return isn't the hvac companies fault that would be the contractor,the guy over building the house & you.You most as a home owner tell the contractor up front what you won't,then the contractor will tell the hvac contractor what to do.The job is done next time you build a house tell the contractor what you won't before the hvac guy is done.

I sat down with the Contractor and the HVAC sub and explaind to them that I wanted to have the best AC solution avail. I wanted to have a system that was able to maintain even temp throughout the house and powerfull enough to keep the temp in the middle of summer or winter..

What I got was three Heat pump units whereas the original design was for one large unit? I was told this was the way to get the house Zoned BullS@#$T But I did not know that at that time. Only after I have lived in the house through two seasons and had nothing but issues with comfort and the HVAC company telling me that there was nothing that can be done to make it any better as what I have is the best thing going.. I started to think that they were just stalling to get past the Warrinty period of One year.

I began to do my own looking around and have fornd out a lot about HVAC related issues. I have read the HVAC training manuals and Tech documents etc and have found that what I have is not at all the best thing going.. also I find that I can fix my problems. I have done much to do this myself but quite frankly I would have rather had someone that was a profesional do it for me. Afterall I have my own job and it is not HVAC.

The bad thing is when I have an HVAC contractor come over they just look at what I have done and it is so far over there heads.. How can I have confidence when I as a simple DIYer can do things that are so much over the heads of the local HVAC professionals.

I am glad I have found this board as I do beleve that most of you on this board are infact very good and the fact that you know how to use a computer puts you above the level of the people I have delt with so far. So I do beleve there is hope.

AB

Post Likes

Andrew

Andrew sounds like you got raped.

Often times it is better to have multiple zones in a home because of large heat gains for parts of the day.

If your home only needed one system why didn't the contractor offer you zoning with dampers. You could have saved on installation cost.

I feel bad for you because I know how bad HVAC systems can be installed and how poorly they can be designed.

I have not been perfect over the years, but I always go out of the way to please our customers.

At the end of the day the hot meal on the table is thanks to you the customer.

If you had a problem and pointed it out to me it would not be over my head. If it was over my head I would be on this forum finding out the solution. This forum really has some experts in there field.

Post Likes
    Andrew, you live in W.R. You wouldn't have a bryant unit by chance would you? I was just wondering which local hack installed your system. No names please just hints.
    Please step AWAY from the condensing unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in