Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a goodman heat pump system that was instaled in 1998 before we owned the house. I had a Tech look at it today because it was not making any heat and the air output on two of the vents was very low. He checked the system and found no refrigerant. After leak testing he found several small leaks at the botom of the coil. He told me that this probably could not be replaced and that I would have to replace the entire unit. I would like to know if this part in fact could be replaced and I would also like to know if there are any products on the market to seal the leaks without replacing the coil. As far as the air output at the registers he said that the output was fine and that the rooms stayed cold because we kept the doors closed. I disagree with this. We keep the doors closed because they are so cold. He checked the output by putting his hand over the vent. Is this an acceptable way to check the air output of a vent? I don't feel any air movement at all. I hear the fan running but no air is moving out of these vents.

Thanks

Replace the outdoor unit. Don't waste your money repairing this unit. Janitrol/Goodman's warranty is 5-yr parts only. Some techs do not carry air flow hoods with them unless you request the service prior to theyre arrival and you may have to pay for the time involved. They do make little hand held air flow meters that give close but not exact measurements however, some techs don't feel the need for them. A true air balancing will require more time than a service call pays for depending on your duct system this could take hours to do properly. You may want to get a couple bids to replace your indoor and outdoor unit. I hope this helps somewhat. Michael
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

There is no way to repair the leaks short of welding them, replacing the coil or replacing the unit. The cost of repairs or coil replacement is enough to justify replacing the 7 yr. old unit as miller pointed out. There is always the possibility that shortly after repairing the leaks that are evident now there will be others and you will not be happy having to spend the same amount for another repair. As for the air flow to the room or rooms, you need a return air path for supply air to leave the room. If the doors are left closed you will have a problem heating that room. Consider installing a dedicated return or transfer grilles.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

>I have a goodman heat pump system that was instaled in 1998 before we owned the house.

Junk

>He told me that this probably could not be replaced and that I would have to replace the entire unit.

One can replace coil: but let say $400 coil + $400 install, spending this much money on junky 10 SEER unit is not very bright idea. Replace it.

>I would like to know if this part in fact could be replaced and I would also like to know if there are any products on the market to seal the leaks without replacing the coil.

May be, like "Super Seal", but those are very questionable....

>I hear the fan running but no air is moving out of these vents.

Have you been changing air filter? Are you using very thick alergy filter on HP? Buy cheap blue one.

Are any of the returns blocked?

If flexyducts used any chance one could have fallen off.

What type of backup do you have ( elect, gas, oil )?
    Does system properly switches over to backup em heat.

If you switch to em heat can you feel warm air?

Is your t-stat working properly?

Any chance HP could be stuck in the cooling cycle?

Sorry buddy, but your HP is junky. I would replace
    it if I were you.

Read this http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=53284

If the outdoor coil is leaking, and the unit doesn't have a low pressure switch, save your money and get a new unit.

If you didn't turn your stat to emergency heat, then the strip heaters didn't kick in untill the temp dropped 2 or more degrees below where you had the stat set.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. This is a great help.
    I have two returns and they are large so I don't think that is the problem. I have used both the cheap, expensive and no filter just to test that theory and no change in air flow. I am getting some air flow out of the other vents but it is not very strong. Would it be a good idea to have the system balanced when I have the outside unit replaced? Should I have the indoor unit replaced also? Will most companies waranty the outdoor unit if the indoor unit is older and of a different brand?

Thanks

Re: Thanks for the info

Originally posted by muncie
    Thanks for the info. This is a great help.
    I have two returns and they are large so I don't think that is the problem. I have used both the cheap, expensive and no filter just to test that theory and no change in air flow. I am getting some air flow out of the other vents but it is not very strong. Would it be a good idea to have the system balanced when I have the outside unit replaced? Should I have the indoor unit replaced also? Will most companies waranty the outdoor unit if the indoor unit is older and of a different brand?

Thanks
    In general:

Yes, get the duct system evaluated/replaced/balanced.
    Yes, replace the indoor unit at the same time.
    Replace the line set at the same time.
    Resale value of your house is greater with a matched set.
    Efficiency is higher with a matched set.
    Warranty is longer with a matched set.
    System is cleaner with a matched set.
    System will last longer with a matched set.
    Rebates are offered in many areas.
    Ask your utility provider & dealer for details.

cost factor does not warent replaceing the coil even if you were to there is a great chance inpurities got into the system and cause problems later. install a new unit and be done. air flo in two rooms well have someone check out your entire system and find out what needs to be done to resolve this problen since you are haveing work done on part of the system then now is the time to take care of anyother conserns you have since the original install
    does it heat properly and cool properly air flo returns get prices and ask questions a good contractor will have no problem answering them.remember dont use to restricktive a filter and with a heat pump change it every month with out fail because in the easest term your indoor coil is now you condenser coil giveing off heat guy i am trying to explain as simple as posible if file is dirty then you head presure will go up and cost you moere to heat your house air across the coil is important

Get a second opinion also, Ive never ever seen a Goodman condenser coil leak, not even the ones installed on the oceanfront, Im sure others have and will chime in here but my point is that it is rare, much more likely to be something else and they are just telling you that to sell you a new unit.

Putting my flame suit on now

Originally posted by swampfox
    Get a second opinion also, Ive never ever seen a Goodman condenser coil leak, not even the ones installed on the oceanfront, Im sure others have and will chime in here but my point is that it is rare, much more likely to be something else and they are just telling you that to sell you a new unit.

Putting my flame suit on now

I had a brand new one with a big hole in it,you could stick your finger in it.

If it was that big a hole they must have rammed it with a forklift

maybe the dog peed on it, or i found one where the previous homeowner cleaned the coil with straight coil cleaner and didn't wash it off.
    i wanted to put a picture here

what part of the cond. coil is leaking? It all depends, u can braze it depending on where its at. U might be able to save some money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast