Loghome Mich Geothermal - saying hello!

Hi;
    My name is Mike, we built our loghome Aug-2001 thru May-2002, the move in date.

We have a close loop Geothermal system, some info here http://mmrosinski.tripod.com/loghome/id19.html.
    Pict here (build picts in the link above)

For a few years I even plotted the energy usage on a graph, some find it useful to see.

My system is almost 9 years old, I'm studying where the changes have come in the past 9 years in Geothermal systems.
    This forum is..neat to me, I'm a engineer by degree.

I'll be reviewing the forums for now, and possible adding my thoughts also.
    regards,
    Mike R, P.E.

Welcome Mike,

Glad to have you aboard...I think you will enjoy this site, I know I have.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Thx guys, I look fwd to the technical nature of this site, using fact based data as the basis for discussions instead of opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
    Thx guys, I look fwd to the technical nature of this site, using fact based data as the basis for discussions instead of opinions.
    Well....you are going to find that there are alot of different opinions here and many of them are fact based. Often times in the HVAC field there are many different ways to skin a cat, however I think you will find the discussions very insightful.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

mtbdudex, Beautiful home! There has always been a special place in my heat for log homes, although they are tricky to air seal at times! You should post some of your pictures and data in the Going Green: Geo Thermal / Water Source section. You open up a bunch of conversations from people looking to do the same thing as you, to professionals with tips and tricks that may help you! Welcome to the community!

That's a great graph, you seem very well organized for an engineer- just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacsteve82 View Post
    mtbdudex, Beautiful home! There has always been a special place in my heat for log homes, although they are tricky to air seal at times! You should post some of your pictures and data in the Going Green: Geo Thermal / Water Source section. You open up a bunch of conversations from people looking to do the same thing as you, to professionals with tips and tricks that may help you! Welcome to the community!
    Thx, I'll do that. Yes, I've learned that sealing is a ongoing thing for log homes, especially first 2-3 years before the logs truly settle into their place.
    I'm not sure how many log homes are LEED certified, mine was design/built before that.

Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    That's a great graph, you seem very well organized for an engineer- just kidding.
    Whats cool about the graph is just visually you can grasp:
    -Max heat bill in winter never above $200, for a home my size (3,000 sq ft load) that is great, some neighbors have had over $400 for same month! That includes Hot H20 as it's on that meter as well. GeoThermal is great!
    -Hot H20 costs approx $40-ish/month, give or take. In late summer months there have been weeks where the Geothermal never kicked on, so just hot H20 load. Thats about what the sticker on those 8 year old electric H20 said also.....$459/year.
    -avg HVAC + hot H20 cost is $80-ish/month year round......not bad

I recently (just 10 days ago) installed a GE Hybrid hot H20 heater before the 2010 tax credit expired, will be interesting to see truly how much "less" my bills (or Kwh usage) are.
    (and per GE tech line did NOT connect up the hot H20 convection loop, you can see that pipe un-connected at the bottom....that's a story for a thread I'll post in appropriate forum here later....)

My real long term desire is........more green via solar and wind.....will have to do this before those tax credits expire.....end of 2016??
    That tech is changing fast, so for now I'm watching that as well.

Help: Geo Thermal flowcenter goes bad every 6 years...flowcenter leakage issue

I know this is the "welcome" forum, I posted in the Geothermal forum a Q on my Geo Thermal flowcenter goes bad every 6 years.
    I've had zero response and not sure if many see that sub-forum.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1#post17942491

Doing a google search on geothermal ground loop GS-4 mixture, what my installer used
    25% GS-4 with distilled water

I find this statement, a 1998 document:
    https://www.climatemaster.com/downloads/flowciom.pdf
    GS4 (Potassium acetate) -
    Non toxic, good heat
    transfer, high price, non-corrosive with added inhibitors,
    low viscosity. Due to its low surface tension, GS4 has
    been known to leak through mechanical fittings and
    certain thread sealants. A variant of the salt family, it can
    be extremely corrosive when exposed to air. CM does not
    recommend the use of GS4 with its products due to the
    leaking and ultimate corrosion problems associated with
    it.
    repeated here as well, a 2014 document:
    http://www.hydronmodule.com/images/u...0D082-08NN.pdf
    GS4 (POTASSIUM ACETATE):
    Considered highly
    corrosive (especially if air is present in the
    system) and has a very low surface tension,
    which causes leaks through most mechanical
    fittings. This brine is not recommended for use in
    earth loop applications.
    Q to experts:
    Does this mean that GS-4 is known to cause issues and should be avoided?