Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    yeah that is a problem and a good point. Also if you did it by testing, you would have teachers feeding students the answers or teaching for the test instead of teaching them what they need to know like is already happening with the current government testing. I don't think it should be up to the students though, because then it would just be a popularity vote. One of the best teachers I ever had, most students hated because she was strict. They never understood why I liked her. It was because she was teaching me math that I was told was supposed to be hard to learn but it was easy in her class because she was a great teacher.

In general, though, I don't think now is the time to worry about teachers and other government employees making enough. Everyone is taking big pay cuts and they are relatively safe. Another perk with the job -- job security.

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Usually, but if you are on the higher end of a tax bracket and someone else is making just enough to bump them up to the next, then they can very well make less. I am just throwing out numbers here but if you have to pay 25% for up to $59,999 income and 30% for 60,000 and above, if you made 59 k you would net $44,250. If you made 61 k, you would net $42,700. But you are right that taxes are a little more complex than that.

Thats not how it works.

Using your example:

The person who made 61k would pay only pay the 30% for the amount over 60K. He would only pay 25% on the first 60K just like the other guy did. So he would net the same $44,250 as your first example PLUS another $700 for the the extra thousand he made. You always net more if you make more unless you have other tax factors ie interest income, capital gains, etc. There are many factors that will determine what we pay but all other things being equal you will net more money if you make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Thats not how it works.

Using your example:

The person who made 61k would pay only pay the 30% for the amount over 60K. He would only pay 25% on the first 60K just like the other guy did. So he would net the same $44,250 as your first example PLUS another $700 for the the extra thousand he made. You always net more if you make more unless you have other tax factors ie interest income, capital gains, etc. There are many factors that will determine what we pay but all other things being equal you will net more money if you make more money.
    Oh, my bad. So thats why the IRS has been loitering outside my door.

ditto

Boy that's pretty aggressive and cursing too Roadhouse where ya at?

Teachers for the most part do an excellent job for what they have to deal with. Unrully kids whose parents are twice as bad. For the most part the kids are fun loving and free, the parents make them misbehave by over punishing them or are alcoholics or abusers ect. The teachers are kind of stuck in the middle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123