Hmm

Can a thermostat be adjusted to turn a furnace on when the temperature drops two degrees instead of one degree?

I would much rather a single-stage turn on and stay on longer than shorter, more frequent cycles.

Depends on t-stat.. High end & pro's like VisionPro's or Chrono's can but if you have $10 homeDecheapo, or mercury t-stat i doubt it....

Brian

anticipator

Thanks for the information on the thermostats.

I'm hearing so many different opinions on single-stage vs. two-stage furnaces that I'm not sure what to do. The price difference is $600 and this would take us much longer to recover in savings, as it's just the two of us and we're gone during the day.

From what I understand, the longer a furnace runs during a cycle, the more efficient it becomes (up to it's AFUE of course). If we can put up with the temperature dropping 2 or 3 degrees before the single-stage furnace kicks on, this might be more efficient for us in the end.

>The price difference is $600 and this would take us much
    >longer to recover in savings, as it's just the two of us
    >and we're gone during the day.

If $600 difference btw 80% and 92% hi-eff var speed air handler I would go for the 92%. $600 would be very close to the cost.

Normally, i was told to set anticipator value to:
    .3 - for electric
    .4 - for single stage gas
    .8 - for heatpump & 92%+