Is it possible to upgrade a furnaces BTU output and blower if needed? I am putting on a 2nd story addition- and yes I am having a energy analysis done-and was thinking of putting in zone with my 2 yr old furnace.

I would like to reuse my existing American Standard 80- 2 stage furnace. Can you upgrade this model's btu output and blower if needed?

Thanks
    g-smitty

You could possibly switch the tonage on the blower by replacing it, but you can definatley not up the BTU. I suggest putting a secondary in the attic.

is it possible with zone dampers to achieve without putting a second HVAC system upstairs?

You can only get the perfomance out of the unit that it was designed to do, why would you expect to push it further?
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

Get a load calculation done for heat loss/gain for the entire house and addition. The furnace may be presently oversized for your present installation. Even if it not or marginal for the addition look at the possibility of adding insulationto to bring the heat loss within the abilities of your present furnaces.

Dadgum ole furnace.

zoning is possible but problematic

YOU COULD ADD A ZONE TO YOUR EXISTING SYSTEM BUT IF IT IS A SMALL ADDITION YOU MIGHT JUST ADD A DUCT IF YOUR UNIT COULD HANDLE THIS. THE PROBLEMS YOU COULD HAVE IS THE DOWNSTAIRS, DURING THE COOL MODE, WOULD REACH DESIRED TEMP BEFORE YOUR UPSTAIRS AND THE UNIT WOULD SHUT OFF. DURING THE WINTER YOUR UPSTAIRS MAY GET TOO HOT WHILE REACHING DESIRED TEMP DOWNSTAIRS. IF YOU INSTALL A SECOND ZONE WITH MOTORIZED DAMPER AND AN UPSTAIRS T-STAT YOUR ADDITION DUCTWORK PROBABLY WILL NOT DUMP ENOUGH AIR TO KEEP THE FURNACE FROM OVERHEATING AND WOULD REQUIRE A GRAVITY BYPASS
    AND AN ADDITIONAL DUMP AREA DOWNSTAIRS.
    GET A COMFORT ADVISOR. GOOD LUCK

Cuiterious...

I see by the number of posts you are failry new so I'll go easy. Turn the caps off, it is difficult to read and considered obnoxious and downright rude.

your furnace is what it is you cant change the btu or the blower size. it is posible to rig a larger blower into it but why. get a heat lose done on the second floor and install a unit in the attic for the second floor
    in most cases your old unit will still be ok to use on the first floor since that is what it was sized for.
    two systems can cost less to operate if done right then trying to make a system do something it cant do
    you will get better cooling and heating first and second floor

actually you can increase your blower size by replacing the blower wheel but you better make sure your motor has enough h.p. and your ducts will handle the air flow or you will get m an oil canning effect (your metal duct work will make noise when your furnace comes on and goes off..

You've got a good unit, leave it alone. You alter it, you lose your warranty. Most 2 story homes are better off with 2 systems. Get a load calc done, plain and simple.