Thread: AC Line Sets

Post Likes

AC Line Sets

I recently had AC added to my house. The contractor installed the line sets to the condensing unit diagonally to the floor joist in the basement, I would have preferred they been installed parallel and perpendicular to the joist. Before I mention it to the contractor does it make any difference installing them one way or the other? Currently the length is 20', installing parallel and perpendicular would add 10'. Thanks.

Post Likes
    My theory is that he was avoiding unnessiary 90. Degree turns and getting maximum
    capacity from system.

Post Likes
    No, it would not make any difference.

Post Likes
    He takes no pride in his work. Was he the super low bidder?

Post Likes
    If you wanted them installed a particular way. Why did you not tell him in the beginning that you wanted them a certain way? Now he has to re-do what he already did, taking the chance of damaging or kinking the copper, adding unnecessary time and possible material expense to his quote. If you want it done another way, you need to compensate him for his time. And it doesn't matter which way they are installed on such a short run, he was probably trying to keep the copper run as short as possible.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis97 View Post
    I recently had AC added to my house. The contractor installed the line sets to the condensing unit diagonally to the floor joist in the basement, I would have preferred they been installed parallel and perpendicular to the joist. Before I mention it to the contractor does it make any difference installing them one way or the other? Currently the length is 20', installing parallel and perpendicular would add 10'. Thanks.
    It Depends on the overall look of the basement. If everything else is perpendicular (plumbing, duct work, wiring) then he should have stuck with that scheme.

If you're just being anal for the sake of being anal then it's not to your benefit because the refrigerant has been released and you should avoid opening the system to the atmosphere.

Post Likes
    I believe neatness counts., But it's possible to run the lines 45º to the joists and still be neat.

If it's a sloppy, saggy, kinked, ugly job in a finished space - complain. If it's a good job but just not quite what you had pictured, get it re-done your way but be willing to pay for it.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes
    If the ceiling is going to be finished one day no one will ever know.

How long is it? Maybe the distance comes into play? Doubtful it would, but after 50 feet it might. I have made some wide turns in my day, but, normally run square. Except at my house, they run on a 30 degree above a drop ceiling, no one knows but me. And a few mice. Distance was a factor at my place. I was to lazy to upgrade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    If you wanted them installed a particular way. Why did you not tell him in the beginning that you wanted them a certain way? Now he has to re-do what he already did, taking the chance of damaging or kinking the copper, adding unnecessary time and possible material expense to his quote. If you want it done another way, you need to compensate him for his time. And it doesn't matter which way they are installed on such a short run, he was probably trying to keep the copper run as short as possible.
    Good thin he wsn't trying to keep them as short as possible on the outside of the house on an attic install. Sure would look funny running diagonal down the wall.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis97 View Post
    The only difference that this could make is if you finish the basement ceiling. As you didn't mention any idea or plans to finish the basement, sounds like you're just being anal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in