Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to deal with water produce by high efficiency furnace?

My high efficiency (95%) furnace (Goodman) produces water and these water is pumped to outside. When outside temperature is below 32F, the pipe is completely blocked by ice. That makes my basement flooding. Now I have to timely check pump container, vacuum if it's full. Anyone has idea how to deal with? I hope not vacuum water in winter season.

I had the same problem. Ended up getting some heat tape to keep the drain from freezing over. Real pain in the ass!

There are heating strips(?) that you can have installed in or around the pipe going to outside that keeps it from icing up.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

frozen water pipes require pipe heating solutions.

What type you use, good so far?

I am taking it you have a condensate pump, and it has a 3/8 platic tubing going from pump to outside, therefore pipe heating cable won't work. parts of pipe objected to frezzing must be changed to more sutable design first.

Quote Originally Posted by dunwoody06 View Post
    What type you use, good so far?
    Ace hardware "EasyHeat" tape - comes in lengths of 3ft to 25 feet:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292306

I have 3/4 inch PVC drain pipe. Tried to get 12 volt tape to minimize any fire potential (probably miniscule, but I worry about these things) but couldn't find it anywhere so ended up with 120 volt solution.

So, do you think replacing pump which can use certain metal pipe, wire cable can wrap around pipe?

will look at. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Ace hardware "EasyHeat" tape - comes in lengths of 3ft to 25 feet:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1292306

I have 3/4 inch PVC drain pipe. Tried to get 12 volt tape to minimize any fire potential (probably miniscule, but I worry about these things) but couldn't find it anywhere so ended up with 120 volt solution.

Quote Originally Posted by dunwoody06 View Post
    So, do you think replacing pump which can use certain metal pipe, wire cable can wrap around pipe?
    nope, adapt such material ie 3/4 copper and fitting required to adapt 3/8 tube to new pipe, near section that will freeze then most likely won't need such device to heat pipe.

If you can, install a 45 inside so the last one foot of pipe penatraits the exterior wall at that 45 degree angle. No water will sit in the end of pipe, works like a charm
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    If you can, install a 45 inside so the last one foot of pipe penatraits the exterior wall at that 45 degree angle. No water will sit in the end of pipe, works like a charm

That works, but so does good old fashioned insul-tube. Just make sure that you penetrate to the exterior with schedule 40 PVC. I've had them stand up to 5 degree temps, of course making sure there is proper slope present.

kenney t Guest
    put that condensate line into your washing machine drian if you can
    problem solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast