Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi all
    am new to this stuff and have a prob. the outside unit on my house started to freeze over this week. it is a weathertron by g. e. and i assume it was installed in 1978 when the house was built. as i know nothing about these things i will call a repair shop tomorrow but don't want to get raped in the process. any idea why it would freeze over, and are parts still avail. ? am afraid they will tell me it has to be replaced if anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate hearing from you thanks, tonya

do yourself and pocketbook a favor and replace the old clunker

it may not be defrosting. is it one solid block of ice?
    Goodbyee stranger it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise! Hey it aint rocket science, "It's a Trade !"

There could be several things wrong with your unit. It could be a low charge( unit leaking refrigerant) If it is leaking don't waste your money trying to fix it due to age of equipment if what you state is true. Bad outdoor fan motor or possibly bad defrost controls to name a few. Anyway look at repair vs replacement depending on the age. If you start replacing parts now, it could lead you into a money pit by the end of summer. Have the unit checked over real good by a good tech. Good luck

Contact Ripley's believe it or not. That old soldier has got to be ready to retire. Considering the heat pump is about 25 years, I wouldn,t invest a dime on a service call, but rather call for a bid on a replacement.

Hi Tonya,

As you expect, the recommendation is going to be to replace the unit.That will be the consensus of most contractors that you call out ,but it does not mean that it can not be repaired just that it would be a poor investment to invest a significant amount of money into a piece of equipment that is well past its expected lifespan.

It sounds as though you may have a problem in your defrost circuit and the parts for that circuit should be available.If this is the case you could expect a budget for that repair to be in the neighborhood of five hundred to a thousand dollars.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Be aware that well it frosted over,the electric heaters(giant toaster),are keeping you warm and spinning the meter.

Have it checked ,the cost of repairs varies greatly around the country ,so it may not be as much as mentioned.

What city and state are you located in?

Also a lot of companies(at least around here),would credit the service call towards a new system if it's needed.Don't invest much ,as previously mentioned.

[Edited by dash on 03-06-2005 at 10:24 AM]

thanks all for your responses. i am in indiana and yes is one solid ice slab on all four sides. have it on emerg. heat now and it is almost cleaned off. i read on another site about defrost cycle problems, could i turn on the air cond. for a few minutes to defrost it if this is the problem?? if i do replace it do i need to replace the basement unit as well ?? what would be a good choice on brands to buy? have a girlfriend who has had problems with hers it is a trane and only five years old. thanks again all for your help tonya

Trane bought out GE back around 1980, so your unit is at least that old. The "average" life expectancy of most units is considered to be 15 years, so you got your mony's worth from this one.

However, don't just roll over for replacement, yours may be repairable for chump change, in which case you can then budget for replacement later.

That Trane unit may very well still be covered by warranty, so have your friend look into that.

The new Trane units are fundementally unchanged from the old GEs. The coil and controls are very similar.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Those old GE's are very reliable, its not uncommon to see them 20+ years old and still going strong, the defrost controls are obsolete but they are easily converted to electronic defrost by a knowledgable technician, good luck.

I thought GE bought Trane

Originally posted by fat eddy
    I thought GE bought Trane
    Are you serious? Or just spoiling to hear the facts?
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

The Trane Company purchased GE's climate control division in 1982. Trane was purchased by American-Standard in 1984.

I can't tell you exact dates for the aquisitions, but I don't think they were that close together. Here's how I calculate it:

I was working for Air Design Systems in Pensacola Florida as a service technician. Trane had recently (2 years?) bought out G.E. during a time when G.E. was divesting itself of it's residential product lines (Including small appliances).

I worked for ADS for four years. The first time I toured Trane's Tyler facility, Trane was the sole owner. The second time I toured the Tyler facility, they announced the American Standard line. So, by my best guesstimate, there was about four years between teh G.E.-Trane and the Trane-American Standard buy outs.

Of course, that may be wrong, due to my old, worn out brain and my tendency to think I am younger than I really am.

Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast