Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How many of you have heard this saying only to arrive at the job and find out the boss/tech has left out many, many details pertaining to the job.

I'm in no way complaining, I love what I do and like working for the company (going on 6 years), I just think this phrase has it's place in many professions and instances.

I try not to smirk when I hear "Listen, all you have to do is...".

I get the feeling that an "all you have to do..." job is a money loss since it never takes the "all you have to do" amount of time.

I'm always concerned about making the company money.
    Get back to work.

How about when your service manager or dispatcher has already told the customer over the phone what the problem already is.

So, you go to the job and actually determine what the problem is but the customer insists that that can't be the problem because the person on the phone told them it was something else. And, the customer continues to doubt your analysis in favor of someone who has never actually seen their system.

Its a pud job.
    I could do it by myself like in _______it should be real easy.

Yeah, Norm...Frame...that's exactly it.
    Get back to work.

I don't want the "esay" job, give me the other one.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Talking

I agree with you square2round. I also find that those kinds of comments lead me to get tunnel vision at times. Just tell me where the job is and I'll fix it when I get there.
    Some other comments that bother me are: "What's wrong with my unit" and "How long will it be before it's running", all before you get your tools out of your truck!

Originally posted by btexpress
    I agree with you square2round. I also find that those kinds of comments lead me to get tunnel vision at times. Just tell me where the job is and I'll fix it when I get there.
    Some other comments that bother me are: "What's wrong with my unit" and "How long will it be before it's running", all before you get your tools out of your truck!
    "It just needs a little more freezone"

Originally posted by square2round
    ...I try not to smirk when I hear "Listen, all you have to do is...".

I get the feeling that an "all you have to do..." job is a money loss since it never takes the "all you have to do" amount of time...
    Yes, those "piece of cake" jobs always seemed to
    "eat my lunch!"
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

"Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

For years boss's have been sending guys out saying it's an easy job, should only take a couple hours, piece of cake....stuff like that. Sure it is.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

It goes both ways. When my techs find a problem on a maintenance visit they fill out a simple form for me to quote the repair by. They are supposed to call and get part #'s and availability information but it doesn't always happen.
    A recent example: Tech finds ignition board bad. Call and get the info, work up a quote, put it in the customer's format and email it out. They eventually approve the quote, the first tech is tied up, another is assigned the job. By this point I've got an hour invested in this $400 repair getting the data, quoting the repair, and ordering the part once it's approved. Second tech forgets to get the data for which unit it is while in the shop and then calls me back to go over the job again. Now this is a simple parts swap! I've got more time invested in it than the damn techs! Two days later I'm getting called by the customer asking job status because he failed to call the 800 number and log out as well.
    I had a customer call that got an unusually high gas bill. They have ongoing outdoor air issues so she wanted a basic status report of what position the dampers were at. She called on a Thursday afternoon and again on Friday morning. Tech went there Thursday afternoon & checked into one problem but forgot about the dampers. Was given 3 simply assignments first thing Friday morning. Of course the first one was to check the dampers you were supposed to check yesterday. Doesn't call in all day, handles the other 2 assigned tasks and a service call somewhere else but find out when he turns in paperwork that he never checked the damn dampers. He forgot!
    I'm sure most techs fear those words (All you gotta do is...) but these simple assignments that aren't completed properly kill me. I'm sure my shop is the exception to the rule.

It does go both ways, ya know what they say, there are two sides to every story and the truth likes somewhere in between.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

brings back memories of my father saying

"it'll only take 15 minutes"

Now I catch myself saying {it'll only take 15 minutes}.

My guys are probably thinking the same thing I thought 30 years ago "ahhhhhh **** screwed again"

While I'm saying it and I hear my dad's voice. Does this happen to anyone else

Originally posted by pjs
    brings back memories of my father saying

"it'll only take 15 minutes"

Now I catch myself saying {it'll only take 15 minutes}.

My guys are probably thinking the same thing I thought 30 years ago "ahhhhhh **** screwed again"

While I'm saying it and I hear my dad's voice. Does this happen to anyone else
    I've never heard your fathers voice.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast