Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The installer of my replacement system was chosen because of his more thorough inspection of the house. However one thing surprised me. He says he will hang the atic air handler from the rafters rather than setting it on the attic floor. I understand that this would be good practice to keep insulation from clogging up the condensate drains but is the first time I heard of this. Do you "go to guys" have any comments one way or another? I would appreciate any input.
    Al

Noise transmission, create more room for proper ductwork, proper condensate drain line pitch and many other possible reasons. Keep in mind that there are thousands of commercial airhandlers installed in the same fashion. Sounds like you have found a professional who is willing to go through the extra time and expense to hang a unit instead of just setting it down on the rafters.

I agree with the previous entry. All of my installations are hung, not set on the floor

Originally posted by james mo
    Noise transmission, create more room for proper ductwork, proper condensate drain line pitch and many other possible reasons. Keep in mind that there are thousands of commercial airhandlers installed in the same fashion. Sounds like you have found a professional who is willing to go through the extra time and expense to hang a unit instead of just setting it down on the rafters.
    Wow, wish all my questions were answered so quickly. Thank you both.

The first time you heard of it. Where have you been man! Now I'm going to have to charge more for Quality.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    It required by Code in Florida.

Dash - I know it's desirable & professional, but are you sure it's REQUIRED by code? (code # _____ )

Many attics don't have room to build a trapize. We routinely install air handlers in tight attics useing 4X4" styrofoam full length supports (yes in the drain pan) to allow for vibration / evaporation / duct alignment / drain connections.

I don't have the section number,but I know in the areas we work in,it's required.They reason is Trusses,are not designed to support the weight on the bottom chord,unless engineered to do so,and we have one builder that does just that.

I try and check the section#,but I'm leaving in the AM for a week.

Guys,

Where is the drain pain set in relationship to the hung airhandler?

It's under the air handler,straped to the supports that of the air handler.This helps in providing enough pitch to drain ,as it's off the bottom chord.

We rarely hang the A/H in attics, unless specified by H/O or the boss. I do NOT set the unit on the rafters. I build a platform to set the unit on and have enough room for the pitch of the drains. Setting an A/H directly on the floor or rafters is a bad idea. There is no way the drain pan would drain properly, not to mention the primary drain. If I see this on a change out, a platform will be built.

When I do hang an A/H, the drain pan is hung with it, using all thread and uni-strut.
    Get back to work.

I wish I wish I had found this Board before I built my house...

Money was not a major factor as the total cost of the house the HVAC was a small %. But the HVAC contractors were tipical southern Hick Rednecks with a License. but still doing farm type slap dash installs.

My house cost over $300,000 and I have 3 heat pump units. The entire install is cheep (not low cost) and below most of the standards talked about on this Board :-(

Oh well you Live and learn..

AB

Originally posted by andrew boyce
    I wish I wish I had found this Board before I built my house...

Money was not a major factor as the total cost of the house the HVAC was a small %. But the HVAC contractors were tipical southern Hick Rednecks with a License. but still doing farm type slap dash installs.

My house cost over $300,000 and I have 3 heat pump units. The entire install is cheep (not low cost) and below most of the standards talked about on this Board :-(

Oh well you Live and learn..

AB

Dash isn't going to like that but it was funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast