We're slowly moving towards finishing the attic of our 1940 cape-style brick house. We have the fin-style aluminum radiators in the downstairs and a condensing gas boiler with separate gas water heater. Right now, there's a door at the top of the stairs to the attic, which keeps the heat downstairs in the finished area - my plan for the upstairs would involve removing the door and part of the stairwell. Would putting a separate radiant heat zone upstairs work, or would all the heat from downstairs end up in the upstairs rafters?

Quite the opposite. Putting rad zone upstairs would balance the system nicely. If you dont add a zone upstairs ths downstairs will end up unbalanced due to heat migration. With your boiler set up you have a very versatile system, youll want to intsall some type of mixing valve to adjust for different water temps needed for fin tube/radiant. You wouldnt want to run the radiant side of system the same temp as fin tube.

Thanks for the reply! I knew we were going to have to put *some* sort of heat upstairs - I just wasn't sure if a system that heats all the air would work with one that just heats the stuff near the floor, particularly when the heated air is downstairs with no physical barrier to the top of the house. I was wondering if we'd need to add upstairs radiators. The upstairs is only about 700 sq ft, but there's a lot of open space and tile floors, so if I can have toasty floors I'd certainly rather do it that way.

Thats definetly doable. Just make sure you find a professional that is well versed at what your trying to accomplish. Good luck.

insulation

With the radiant floor, will come the insulation that keeps the floor from heating out the edges, and downward into the floor below. You might not have any insulation between the floors and find that the radiant system heats BOTH floors.

The boiler might not be big enough.

Plan it all together, for best results.

Noel

When we do the upstairs, we're probably going to pull up the flooring in the attic, so insulation should be easy to deal with. Downstairs is a tad chilly anyway, so maybe we should underinsulate on purpose
    As for the boiler, I was under the impression that the temps that it's heating the water to are too high for radiant systems, and there'd have to be some sort of mixing valve involved. Wouldn't that be less demand on the boiler than adding radiators upstairs?