Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ductwork

Post Likes
    Is there any reason as to why there is not a use of PVC for ductwork applications for HVAC?

Gordy

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Doesn't meet the specs of class 1 ,duct,Flame and smoke developed rating.

If there's a fire,not a good thing.Some codes allow it under a concrete slab,little fire danger.

Post Likes

Flexible

That makes sense to me. So how does flexible duct get around this? Is it the insulation?

Gordy

Post Likes
    i believe there is a type of duct system that is of pvc type construction you may want to contact your local dealer for info

Post Likes

Re: Flexible

Originally posted by gordy
    That makes sense to me. So how does flexible duct get around this? Is it the insulation?

Gordy
    Just a different material,than PVC,there is a type of PVC that meets this rating,very expensive though.

Post Likes
    Is there any reason as to why there is not a use of PVC for ductwork applications for HVAC?

Gordy
    there is pvc coated spiral duct. i don't quite get your question. what do you want to do?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinner73

Gordy
    there is pvc coated spiral duct and rectangular. i don't quite get your question. what do you want to do?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dash
    Doesn't meet the specs of class 1 ,duct,Flame and smoke developed rating.

If there's a fire,not a good thing.Some codes allow it under a concrete slab,little fire danger.
    Thats only for the first 5 feet.I think the price would be to much.

[Edited by framehvac on 03-05-2005 at 02:19 PM]

Post Likes

Attic AC

Well, I want to install AC in my attic for a 2300 square foot ranch. Looked into Hi Velocity turned off by the reduction in seer rating. So thinking conventional. Not an avid fan of flexible ductwork. Just wondering about the pvc duct work, an avenue that went through my head knew there must be a reason why not widly used.

I have read alot about ductwork in unconditioned spaces. I know its not my best option. But its doable. If done right. I have ceiling radiant heat (hydronic). My concerns with the ductwork would be A. Condensation in the winter or summer, leading to mold issues. B. Lack of performance, ductwork being warm/ hot between cooling cycles leading to longer than needed cycles.

This system would only be for AC. So I'm tryin to get my ducks in row here. Thinking of using two air handlers so I can keep my attic center unobstucted for storage. The ranch is a U shape. HeatGain 40,000 Btu high side. I presently use 30,000 Btu's worth of window shakers and it cools they handle the load.

Thanks for your replies Gordy

Post Likes
    The heat gain for the ducts in the attic,should have been accounted for in the Manual J,load calculation.Use an R-8 insulation,to reduce the loss.

Post Likes
    any kind of ductwork can be done. it depends how thick your wallet is. i would use standard galvanized metal that would get wrapped on the outside. i too dislike flex systems, Dash would disagree with me.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinner73
    any kind of ductwork can be done. it depends how thick your wallet is. i would use standard galvanized metal that would get wrapped on the outside. i too dislike flex systems, Dash would disagree with me.
    Its a southern thing tinner73.

[Edited by framehvac on 03-05-2005 at 03:09 PM]

Post Likes
    i understand.

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    It is all about the gass released when the stuff melts or burns.

PVC is will release toxic gasses that will cause you to die before you can get away from the fire..

AB

Post Likes
    Originally posted by andrew boyce

PVC is will release toxic gasses that will cause you to die before you can get away from the fire..

AB
    Most everything in your house andrew boyce released gass when it burn.Plummers use it to in house.

This is pvc duct

Post Likes
    Originally posted by framehvac
    Originally posted by andrew boyce

AB
    Most everything in your house andrew boyce released gass when it burn.Plummers use it to in house.

This is pvc duct

First time I've ever seen this type of PVC duct. Can it come in any rectangular size? I assume this is designed for underground slabs? Besides being used underground, what other applications would it be used in? That would have to be expensive. It's not like you can fab this in the shop.

I've only dealt with the PVC coated spiral duct for underground.

Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    Any,its just all about saving the money that is why no one uses it.It's not like you can fab this in the shop you could do it,you would just have to learn how & get some new tools for the shop.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    gordy

Gordy

So they do,do it.

Post Likes
    True.. but in the infinite wisdom of the US government they have decided to rate some types of materials more of a risk when burning or melting than others... this is the reason that the PVC ducts you have in those pictures are most likely designed with low levels of this gas...

I feel that if one attempts to breath anything that is burning you will likely die. so what’s the point. Best thing to do is get out of a burning house or structure as this in it self is likely to result in death.. LOL

:-)

AB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in