Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ductwork

It is all about the gass released when the stuff melts or burns.

PVC is will release toxic gasses that will cause you to die before you can get away from the fire..

AB

Originally posted by andrew boyce

PVC is will release toxic gasses that will cause you to die before you can get away from the fire..

AB
    Most everything in your house andrew boyce released gass when it burn.Plummers use it to in house.

This is pvc duct

Originally posted by framehvac

AB
    Most everything in your house andrew boyce released gass when it burn.Plummers use it to in house.

This is pvc duct

First time I've ever seen this type of PVC duct. Can it come in any rectangular size? I assume this is designed for underground slabs? Besides being used underground, what other applications would it be used in? That would have to be expensive. It's not like you can fab this in the shop.

I've only dealt with the PVC coated spiral duct for underground.

Get back to work.™

Any,its just all about saving the money that is why no one uses it.It's not like you can fab this in the shop you could do it,you would just have to learn how & get some new tools for the shop.

gordy

Is there any reason as to why there is not a use of PVC for ductwork applications for HVAC?

Gordy

So they do,do it.

True.. but in the infinite wisdom of the US government they have decided to rate some types of materials more of a risk when burning or melting than others... this is the reason that the PVC ducts you have in those pictures are most likely designed with low levels of this gas...

I feel that if one attempts to breath anything that is burning you will likely die. so what’s the point. Best thing to do is get out of a burning house or structure as this in it self is likely to result in death.. LOL

:-)

AB

they do make pvc-coated sheets of iron. it can be run through fab machines like regular galvanized and formed into regular rectangular pipe and fittings. i'm sure it ain't cheap. we used it in some medical building, i don't recall exactly, it was quite a few years ago. i do remember that the finished product seemed to have alot of the coating worn off after running it through the machines. ANYTHING is possible if you have the money.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I bet that pvc coating on flat sheets does come off easily, especially in the brake...or beading it. I'd like to go and see how they make the pvc coated spiral duct...or even the spiral itself.
    Get back to work.™

What about using spiral pipe? The cost is reasonable, somewhat cheaper than fab ducts and much better than flex

the spiral is made off a small coil. my last shop made it.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

True.. but in the infinite wisdom of the US government they have decided to rate some types of materials more of a risk when burning or melting than others... this is the reason that the PVC ducts you have in those pictures are most likely designed with low levels of this gas...

I feel that if one attempts to breath anything that is burning you will likely die. so what’s the point. Best thing to do is get out of a burning house or structure as this in it self is likely to result in death.. LOL

:-)

AB

andrew boyce what do you do for a living because some of you information is way off or I am just reading it wrong?

Thanks !

Thanks for answering my question people. I was just curious now I know. God for bid the ductwork catches on fire. I agree if one gets out with out choking from the foams, carpets,plastics ect. in a home. Makes a fire rating on ductwork a mute point if you ask me.

Gordy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast