Replacing HVAC - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing HVAC

HVAC Pro
    Thanks but what are volume dampers and what do they do - restrict the flow of air or do they increase the flow

thanks

different approach

I propose a different situation that will save you much more
    money in yearly operating costs.

A) a dual fuel system with 80% variable speed furnaces and 14 or 16 SEER heat pumps. The heat pumps run until the outdoor temp gets around 35 to 40, then the gas furnace automatically kicks in. Gas prices will always be high, and Dominion Power rates make heat pumps the way to go.

B)Save even more money and go 100% heat pumps. Today's heat pumps are so much more comfortable and efficient.

If you want a Lennox option, call me.
    Tom
    757-287-7863

Tom

The trane dealer did mention this option but didn't get into much specifics.

I will be out going of town Monday afternoon, but will try to call you before I leave. Is the number your business number.

thanks

my cell number, call anytime
    Tom

gemmint.Sometimes it can suck "knowing" huh.Sometimes I wish I had never found this trade:} Just to put you at ease.
    I don't do my load calcs untill I have been awarded the job.
    It can be a little time consuming especially with a lot fo valted ceilings skylights and the basments that are half concrete and half stick construction.And also very large and open floor plans.But that part may wellbe just me.
    Anyway I Don't do them first because I then have to give the the results to the H/O with the bid.Don't get me wrong I would love to do that and I use to.But I kept getting under bid buy Other guys using my calcs.Not only did this hurt my companys bottom line.But it made the weekend warriors around here look good.Once they got done doing a lousy install.I have literally had people call me back and say they would love to use my services because I seem to be
    very knowledgeable BUT they found another company(or guy) who would do "exactly" what I suggested but they would do it for "x" dollars less.Could I maybe sharpen my pencil a little more. Cause they sure would like to use me instead!!!
    So now I do the calcs after I get the job.I do however let people know it will be done.Your trane guy sounds pretty smart if he looked at the job the way you said then you probably won't go wrong whith him.And yes after a lot of years in this trade some guys can eye ball a system pretty darn close.
    Best of luck to you.
    41Gasman

Originally posted by gemmint
    HVAC Pro
    Thanks but what are volume dampers and what do they do - restrict the flow of air or do they increase the flow

thanks
    Volume dampers would be used to reduce air flow through that particular duct. Nice to have when balancing the system. Some areas will need all the air available in that particular branch duct and some areas will need less. Dampers are the only way to regulate the air other than shutting off the damper at the register itself which creates a noisy whistling outlet for the air. Good luck with your install. Don't forget to let us know how things turn out for you.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

HVAC Pro

Thanks so much for the information. I will keep you posted. I will be getting some additional recommendation sprice quotes this week and we will go from there. I am understanding more and more how important the quality of the installation is versus the cost. I also realize now that the original installation was not done adequately and probably has contributed to the lack of comfort in my house.

Everyone at this site has been very helpful and I appreicate the pros taking time from the busy lives to help the homeowners out.

Another question, if the contractor proposes replacing flex duct to the registers from 5" to 6" should the existing boots and maybe registers be also replaced/and or resized.

Some one else posted that I should also be concerned about maybe ensuring the the return side of the house is also resized and may need replaced. I am willing to spend the necessary money to get my duct work in order as it doesn't make sense to spend money on a efficiency system and have poor ductwork.

Again thanks to you all for all of your help and information.

Replacing the registers will be cosmetic unless the dampers aren't functioning properly. The 5 inch runs will likely have boots that are 5 inch to either 4x10 or 4x12. If accessible enough I would replace the ones that are 5".
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

HVAC Pro

Thank you makes sense

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12