Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    R12,
    Draw out the specs. I am not sure there any. The first part of the building was 1910, using used compressors. And from there they just added machines as the load went up. One night when the plant was running full out one of the watch engineers went around adding up all the compressors running and did the calculations against the amount product frozen and they did not jive, too much product frozen. And that got the text book types asking questions.

I will describe what I remember.
    Went I was young and Pop first worked there most of the belt driven compressors had flat belts, but over the years they were converted to flat v-belts.
    It was two stage compression and valved so most compressors could be run high or low stage. The compressors varried in horse power so they could vary the combination of compressors until they had the right horse power. The smallest was 15hp the largest I think 100 Hp.
    If the low pressure went up you would change compressors up in hp. If the IP went up add compressors on high side. If the High side went up add a cooling tower fan. And so on.
    The evaporators were flooded evaps with hand expansion valves. The defrost was by polyethanene gylcol solution. It was pumped over the coils and adsorbed the water, it was then pumped to a boiler where the excess water was boiled off and reused.
    I could go on but this is long enough.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

The year was 1981.

It was in a trailer park at a party.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Re: The year was 1981.

Originally posted by spotts
    It was in a trailer park at a party.
    No not the goat story again.

I'd lost my cup.

And was just sitting on the floor drinking out of the keg hose.
    Then up walked the prettiest goat. She put her nose right in my........
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Then what?

I blacked out.

But from all the sores an hoof shaped bruises I've always figured that was the night.......
    Walter Matthau

At 18, in 1978, I was working midnight maintenance (basically babysitting) in the Center For Forensic Sciences in Toronto...Man, they had some of everything. From the 21 storey tower with 3 or 4 of Ministry operations to the Coroners Court to the Truck Court, where they took vehicle for inspection, to the Morgue...Honest, it was like living C.S.I. At that time nobody told me this job included standing on a roof in -40 UNTIL you got a unit working.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Well.there was this Lennox Pulse......j/k
    Go RCR!

Box Crow Cement

I was really awed by the number of switch gear rooms that powered the kiln for making cement.

1/2 mile of conveyor
    to crusher
    to kiln where it dropped 120ft at ?what temperature I don't know. But, I could be on the ground in the winter and feel the heat from it 30ft away.

Most of the time there were from 10-18 trucks waiting to drive under a 16" hose to fill there tanker with cement.

11 Switch gear rooms Carrier chiller 60 tons with some rooms with 5 chillers in each.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Not sure it was anything I saw, rather than what I heard.

This guy answered any question I asked related to anything from how it worked to how to install it. Then he showed me. He was my supervisor for about a year and a half. I didn't know a thing about A/C. My parents house didn't have it, so I had no need to know about it. This was the most amazing guy in the field I've ever had the pleasure knowing. He could run circles around our service techs...and he was a duct mechanic. He could do anything. It was incredible...make unique fittings, service units when asked, whatever, and he never showed a bit of arrogance. Class act man. He's the reason why I stayed in the field.

I wish I couldn't learned more from him before he quit after 20 years in the company.

[Edited by square2round on 03-08-2005 at 08:56 PM]
    Get back to work.

i was working on a gas fired turbine powerhouse. 500 psi natural gas with no scent added. i believe the gas line was 24 inch. scary !

It was the heating system at John Deere World Headquarters. High temperature hot water. 350 deg water at 200psi. Alot different than the 180deg systems I was used too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12