Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jury Duty

I have jury duty in two weeks

Just filled out the paper I told them that I would be moving out of state soon & that is true,may be hear may not.

I got called for jury duty just before christmas.....you have to call in every night or something like that as I recall.

The message that was on the recording told me court was closed for the xmas holiday.

Yup, I did my civic duty!

Originally posted by bigbadbob
    I got called for jury duty just before christmas.....you have to call in every night or something like that as I recall.

The message that was on the recording told me court was closed for the xmas holiday.

So what was it like?

Originally posted by framehvac
    Originally posted by bigbadbob

So what was it like?
    I didn't go...I was called, they were closed, told us we did not have to go.

My wife however was called about 5 years ago on a personal injury accident.

Her jury awarded the injured party 1.1 million more than the defendant had coverage for.

The plaintiff was originally ready and willing to settle for the defendants full amount of coverage. His insurance company refused.

Now, the reason they gave 1.1 million more was because they had to follow the rules of law as well as instructions from the judge.

They agreed that the defendant was at fault, he was an Owner Operator out for hire, basically an over the road trucker, 62 years old, ready to retire and he fell asleep, crossed the yellow line hitting a guy in a car almost head on with a Peterbuilt, the plaintiff was seriously injured.

They had no choice other than to give him the 2.1 million, (he had 1 million in insurance).

The defendant cried in court after the jury gave the verdict, they knew they financially ruined him, my wife hates herself for it, she feels that the system didn't work.

I hope the trucker sued his insurance company for bargaining in bad faith. They had a 1 million dollar settlement but the insurance company would not settle.

I know...the plaintiff deserved as much as could get, but that is not the object of my post.

Originally posted by tinner73
    i have been selected for jury duty at least 3 times in the past 12 months. the first 2 times i just ignored the notice. the third one was a little more threatening. i finally sent a letter back stating that i was injured and couldn't make it. i wouldn't mind doing it but, i'm not losing $265/day...sorry. i think they pay you something like $20/day. if it's downtown Chicago that won't even cover the parking. if i'm going to not work and not get paid for it, i sure as hell ain't spending it in court, i'll go on vacation. what would you do if you got stuck on a 6-7 week trail......with no pay?

It must be nice tinner73 to make $265. a day.

i told the judge and lawyers i was psychic and that i already knew the outcome of the trial, they thanked me for my time and dismissed me
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Originally posted by 1972torino
    i told the judge and lawyers i was psychic and that i already knew the outcome of the trial, they thanked me for my time and dismissed me

So are you.

Ive been twice but never picked for a jury

1st time I got called up when they were picking the jury for a woman who killed her husband, each side got to excuse 10 potential jurers, the defense excused me, apparantly they didnt want anyone on the jury who wasnt the same race as the defendant.

The second time I went to orientation the first day, then was told I was excused when I showed up the second day, I was kind of hoping to get picked for a jury.

This happened in a jury south of me in Bureau County Illinois. One jury selectee said something. The judge was po'd said basically your right you wouldn't make a good juror. You're relieved from jury duty and are hereby ordered by the court to attend the trail as a spectator.

Gotta be careful what you say.

i have been selected for jury duty at least 3 times in the past 12 months. the first 2 times i just ignored the notice. the third one was a little more threatening. i finally sent a letter back stating that i was injured and couldn't make it. i wouldn't mind doing it but, i'm not losing $265/day...sorry. i think they pay you something like $20/day. if it's downtown Chicago that won't even cover the parking. if i'm going to not work and not get paid for it, i sure as hell ain't spending it in court, i'll go on vacation. what would you do if you got stuck on a 6-7 week trail......with no pay?

it sure doesn't that far around here.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

it sure doesn't go that far around here.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

My mom lives in a rural county and has served 3 times, twice she was a juror on a murder trial which is really unusual as the county sometimes goes a whole year without any homicides.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12