Thread: Condensation on a/c line set.

Post Likes
    Can anyone explain why the small un-insulated freon line, going from the coil in my oil furnace to the compressor unit outside, is dripping wet with condensation? The water is dripping onto my drop ceiling creating stains. What can I do to fix this? Is there a problem with the system?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Post Likes
    The smaller uninsulated line is the liquid line, if it's sweating that means the liquid is boiling off in that line, undercharged probably, could be low head pressure due failing comp? Call for service and have someone check it out, and make sure they charge by superheat or subcooling, which method depends on the type of metering device.

Post Likes
    is this happening with the unit running in cooling mode, the heating mode, or off.
    i wanted to put a picture here

Post Likes
    This is happening while running in the heating mode in the winter MD climate.

Post Likes
    Need to have unit checked by professional. But, for now try and get some insulation 3/8" and cover the line from evaporator to where it goes through the wall.
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    insulating the pipe will be the cheapest fix

Post Likes
    Jeff, I am very interested in your problem if its anything like whats happening with a couple of our units. Is your unit a A/C only and not a heat pump? When this drips, is the outside unit off?

Post Likes

Jeff

Is the coil for the oil furnace in the attic with the lines.
    In other words, is the cooling coil above the refrigerant lines. Or do they go up from a closet type furnace & coil, into the attic ( or overhead space ) ?

Post Likes
    I believe the unit outside is a/c only and has been off since the end of summer. The A-coil in the furnace is in the basement below the freon lines. I can insulate the line, however, will that only cover up a real problem?

Post Likes
    Is this a new A/C unit and is the furnace in a basement?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jgerwitz
    I believe the unit outside is a/c only and has been off since the end of summer. The A-coil in the furnace is in the basement below the freon lines. I can insulate the line, however, will that only cover up a real problem?
    there is no real problem. the condensation is coming from the migration of refrigerant caused by the changing temp of the evaporator coil. other than insulating the line, the only other option is installing a solonoid valve on the liquid line. when your furnace runs it acts like the flame on an absorption system.

Post Likes

Jeff

Yes, insulating lines is just temporary cover-up to possibly save ceiling until proper repair is made. At least that what I took it to be.
    You have puzzling problem. I'm sure many are trying to help solve it.

Does the return air being drawn into your system going through the cooling coil first and then the funace, or is the air going through the furnace before it goes through the cooling coil ??

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tlcartman
    Originally posted by jgerwitz
    there is no real problem. the condensation is coming from the migration of refrigerant caused by the changing temp of the evaporator coil. other than insulating the line, the only other option is installing a solonoid valve on the liquid line. when your furnace runs it acts like the flame on an absorption system.
    Can you explain why I have two systems exactly the same and only one is doing this? So far the factory techs can't tell me what is causing this.

Post Likes
    Puzzling problem, indeed, especially if it's a furnace with an A/C. I can't see any reason for the liquid line to collect condensation in heat.

Now, if it is a heat pump it's a different matter entirely.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by trane
    Can you explain why I have two systems exactly the same and only one is doing this? So far the factory techs can't tell me what is causing this.
    i have ran across this problem more than once. in the off cycle the refrigerant goes to the lowest point, in this case the coil in the basement. when the furnace comes on it heats the indoor coil up raising the pressure, and forcing the refrigerant back to the outdoor unit. the refrigerant passes backwards through the metering device causing the gas to flash. i have seen it happen on a cap tube system, with an orifice (not enough pressure to shift piston), and once with a txv that didn't close completely. as for why you have one that does it and one that doesn't, without seeing them i don't know. i have seen the problem made worse due to outside air being tied into furnace return.

Post Likes
    No outside air and these are frosting from the outside wall in. Right now we have the valves closed until the factory comes up with a solution. As soon as you open the valves the liquid line gets ice cold with the furnace and A/C both off.

Post Likes
    for the refrigerant to move you have to have either a temp difference or a pressure difference, other wise the liquid will settle at the lowest point. if it settles on the evap coil in the off position, then when the heat comes on it will be driven outside. as the evap cools it will return to it.
    is yours frosting only from the wall, or does it go all the way back to the service valve? if only from the wall, and the outdoor temp and humidity are the same as the basements, it sounds like there is a restriction where the line passes thru the wall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in