Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Loud bang/pop shortly after heat pump shut off?

So I'm sitting here on the laptop and all of a sudden POW!!! I hear a loud bang/pop from oustside, almost like a gunshot. Now, if it hadn't been 47 degrees outside I would think maybe it was some kids setting off a loud firecracker since that's about what it sounded like. But then it occured to me the sound seemed like it came from the vicinity of my new Carrier heat pump outside. Which then reminded me that I would occasionally hear something similar with my previous Bryant system shortly after it shut down (only not quite as loud as what I heard tonight).

Anybody know what is/causes that noise, and is it something specific to just Bryant/Carrier? I been wondering for years what causes this...

Sonic

You sure it's the equipment and Not the "heavy duty" 30 ga sheet metal duct that is reverse "oil-canning"
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

I'm not sure of anything about the bang I heard last night quite honestly. The only thing I know is it sounded like a louder version of what my Bryant system used to do on rare occassion. LoL A pop/bang like it was alleviating pressure or something shortly after shutting down.

Hot air expands,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Sounds a lot like the duct popping. Its possible the new system has a slightly higher static pressure. Is it a variable speed airhandler.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Could be the air filter in the filter grille. I had one like that yesterday.

They used a heavy washable electrostatic filter. It was installed in a filter grille in the ceiling, and the filter was a sloppy fit in the filter grille.

When the blower shut off, the filter fell 1/4 inch and made a bang. When the blower goes on, the restriction of the filter causes the air flow to pull the filter up against the top of the filter grille. It makes a smaller noise then too.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

To clarify, the sound was from OUTSIDE, meaning only the condensor is in question. Well, that and the drier leading to it. LoL

contactor pulling in, or something blew up.

You may want to put up video survailance on this unit Sonic, cause you sure do have alot of stuff going on.

i'm guessing it's your reversing valve denergizing after a long run cycle?

and made a popping noise?

All I know is, if it was indeed the condensor unit, it was pretty damn loud. LoL Louder than my old Bryant system when it would occassionaly do something similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicExplorer View Post
    So I'm sitting here on the laptop and all of a sudden POW!!! I hear a loud bang/pop from oustside, almost like a gunshot. Now, if it hadn't been 47 degrees outside I would think maybe it was some kids setting off a loud firecracker since that's about what it sounded like. But then it occured to me the sound seemed like it came from the vicinity of my new Carrier heat pump outside. Which then reminded me that I would occasionally hear something similar with my previous Bryant system shortly after it shut down (only not quite as loud as what I heard tonight).

Anybody know what is/causes that noise, and is it something specific to just Bryant/Carrier? I been wondering for years what causes this...

Sonic
    Could be a lot of things. If it's electrical arcing, then it won't be long before it quits working altogether. If it's mechanical, then same deal. You should probably have it checked out ASAP, that is, if you're sure the noise is coming from the unit. It isn't normal.

Just looked things over. Everything seems to appear okay, no sign of anything obvious gone wrong. Given the volume of the "Pow!" I heard there would be some visible indicator if something blew up. Of course, I can't see under the compressor blanket (there's 3 wires running into it). Is there typically anything else (other components or electronics) underneath the blanket besides the compressor itself?

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast