Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sling dawg the furnace is in a basement on floor and it's a up flow 90+ side wall vented.It's a RGRA 120,000 btu.What i mean is it fills up with water in the sealed chamber behind the vent motor. The problem is it will drain but for some reason not enough.I've checked every possible reason for it being plugged up and it's not

Water full of furnace

alpo8484.I don't mean to state the obvious.But sometimes when trouble shooting.....Its the trees for the forest thing.You are telling us that all drains are clear.But it will still hold water.Are you getting what I mean here.Is this a new install?Been there for a while?

Ok, If you pull the drain hose that goes from the bottom
    of the inducer motor housing(where all the water builds up) to what ever you have for condensate trap.Does water come poring out?
    41Gasman

Id take the vent motor off and remove the condensing heat exchanger and clean it out...also any hoses traps etc....... Ive seen algae grow all the way up to the heat exchanger outlet..... but it could be soot plugging up the works.

You know its got a restriction somewhere if its not draining....clean out the restriction.......

Some new furnaces have to have the trap filled when first started. I know some of the Armstrong line and older Heil furnaces need this. Just a thought!!!
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Good anserewer corny but why after 18 months

So is there a Tee on the side of the furnace where it attaches to the trap with a riser? How big and how long is the drain? What is the vent size and length (number of ells)?

Check for any air leakage in the drain system that might nullify the actions of the trap. Even a loose fitting drain tube from the collector to the trap can do it. Also, look for sags in the exhaust piping. I have come across this when a sag, or poorly pitched pipe will will not allow condensate to run back with the inducer running, but when the unit shuts down----Whooooosh-- you get tons of water that the drain cannot handle. Either of these problems can be intermittant due to variable lengths of run time.

Well, there was certainly a lot of improper terminology being used on this one, ie; "combustion chamber". I was thinking there was water in the primary heat exchanger tubes.

Anyway, if you have condensate backed up into the collector box (proper term) it can only be from certain conditions;

*There is air getting into the drain lines between the trap and the IDB
    *The drain trap assembly is not functional. (check for any blockage in the taps on the trap. There have been instances of plastic film covering the openings due to improper molding of these trap assemblys)
    *There is no vent in the drain after the trap assembly.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanks Ro bo Tech you must be HVAC god. I"m not even in the same league with you. I think i'll hang it all tommorow and sell all my tools.

Post a pic if you have one. We maybe able to help you a little better.

Take a pic of the furnace with both doors removed.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

That GRA has to pressure switches, right? The blocked vent pressure switch and the blocked drain safety.

How tall is the open vent for the condensate drain on the furnace? And, are the AC and Furnace drains tee'd together???

Originally posted by alpo8484
    Thanks Ro bo Tech you must be HVAC god. I"m not even in the same league with you. I think i'll hang it all tommorow and sell all my tools.
    I'm beginning, after searching all 16 of your posts here, to think that you're not overly serious about this board and the professionals that post here.

Roboteq is, in fact, a highly experienced HVAC technician, and, also, as a matter of fact, a former Rheem factory field service representative.

It would be in your best interests, if you care at ALL whether or not your problem with this particular furnace gets solved, to try and pay attention, and forgo the smartass comments.

Thanks dave,it's about time!!!
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast