I live in Sacramento CA where teh summers are hot (90-110) and the winters are cool (30-40). Assuming the units I am looking at are similar AFUE and SEER (92% and 14-15+ respectively) is it worthwile, in this type of climite, to opt for a more expensive two-stage unit?

I know they are quieter and more efficient but with running two zones and incorporating a smart vent, I am not sure what factors should be involved in making this cost/benefit decision in our relatively moderate climate.

Go with the 2-stage. They are not that much more and they are worth it. IMO
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Low temps of 30-40, why are you looking for a 92% furnace?
    Go with a heat pump and save money.

Call around and find someone that will give you the numbers on the cheapest heat for your area.

I would positively go with a good heat pump (2 stage)
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Pay no mind to Freeze and jultz. What they say would be true for other parts of the country. But they're not aware of the legalized extortion otherwise known as electricity rates we pay here in California. Gas is virtually always cheaper out here, and by more than just a thin margin. Most customers prefer the operational characteristics of gas heat as well.

The payback on the 90+ will probably be longer than they tell you. And the added complexity will someday result in additional costs of maintenance and/or repair. One extra non-warranty repair that you wouldn't have otherwise had could easily wipe out that extra 10% savings. I'm not automatically discounting 90+ as an option. But it's not all roses.

Plus, you make it sound as it two stage is tied to the 90+. You can get an 80+ with the two stage option. The two stage option makes a LOT of sense for comfort and noise reasons. There's virtually no benefit in terms of energy savings.

I was not aware that electric rates were 3 times what they are here in Ct (.16 a KWH here). From a cost of install standpoint i think the heat pump with all the bells and whistles would still cost less to install seer for seer and costs to operate a heat pump are less. That being said a gas warm air is much more comfortable than a heat pump and will also be more reliable having a 80% 2 stage gas unit and cooling only outdoor condenser.

[Edited by Freezeking2000 on 03-06-2005 at 08:54 AM]
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I have 2 stage gas furance and A/C Ihave found it more comfortable and cheaper to run About 30%.

Originally posted by Big
    I have 2 stage gas furance and A/C Ihave found it more comfortable and cheaper to run About 30%.
    2 stage is no more efficient. Its merely a comfort thing.

Hey doc what happens when you are home alot and the inside temperature only varies say 1 or 2 degrees? By running in low fire there's no cost savings to satisfy the stat as compaired to bringing on full heat on a single stage unit? Just curious.