Hey all, Has anyone here gone to or heard the rep of RETS Tech? I'm leaning towards going to the 52 week HVACR course in Charlestown MA and would really appreciate some professional input.
    Thank you!

Mission; A guy that works with us at one of our calls just graduated from there. He said at first it wasn't to good but as they went along it got better. Sometimes i'd sit with him and help out with his work assignments, and it seemed to me that they could have provided the students with more information and hands on stuff. In his case he was lucky that he could ask me and the boiler guy for help and we are both really great guys, I mean really great guys,really. As i'm sure you know there aren't many schools around so you are limited in your choices, But I think all things considered they will do OK by you. I'll see him on tuesday this week and will ask him for more info and let you know. They fax re'sume's to my office from time to time so if they end up faxing yours i'll burn it with the others,oops I mean i'll give it special attention. GOOD LUCK
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

VMC,
    I guess that has something to do with it too (maybe a lot to do with it)....is it a respected school? Would an owner see that as a good school if he were to get a resume with that on it....or would it be shredded?

Mission; I don't think it's a BAD school, it's just with a very limited amount of information on it i'm cautious. The best employee I ever had I hired right out of Blue Hill regional tech. If you have an idea of who you want to work for maybe stop by and ask them for input. Remember smaller companies (like mine) are less likely to hire someone just out of school. But if you sign on with a small place you probably will get into service work faster and with a bigger place you may see more complicated equipment but take longer to get into service work. Both have good and bad aspects to them, your call on that. This is a great trade for a person who is self motivated. I'll be in touch so stay in front of your computer until you hear from me again.

You do know I was kidding about that last line right?
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

VMC~ Yes, of course I knew (well hoped) you were kidding, but it still raised that question, you know? I checked out that school along with a couple others and it seemed the best, to me anyways. I'm in my mid 30s and in the middle of a career change right now...former law enforcement, and have always wanted to get into this business or a similar trade. I am self motivated, love working with my hands and seeing a completed project when I leave for the day so I do think this is right up my alley....but know nothing about it. Which leads me to the school, to get on track. I do appreciate you letting me pick your brain.

I'm from mass. and graduated from Porter and Chester Inst.,in my opinion a great school. Lots of hands on training.

Oilman...yeah, I checked that but I'm on the south shore, that's pretty far west. I do apprecaite your input though.

You might be thinking of Chicopee. They just opened up another school in Westboro. Right off of route 9.

I was thinking of Chicopee....Westboro, huh? Now that sounds a little more like it. I didn't see anything about Westboro on their site, must not be updated. I'll call and get their info packet....Thanks Oilman!

Your welcome. I have been to that school to help put some equipment in. Very nice set up there. Clean,everything is brand new. Some older equipment also. You will leave EPA certified and if your lucky with an oil burner license.

Mission; I talked to the guy today and he said that it was only OK. He thought they could of had more equipment and got into things a lot more. Both classes shared projects and sometimes one class would finish the other classes project, that made them sad. It seems to me that they got a lot of class room work and work to do at home, so that side of it seems OK. He did mention that they were getting more equipment in so it may improve. I think maybe you should take a tour of the place and ask a lot of questions. This maybe what you would hear from students at any of the schools. Sorry I can't be of more help but he didn't want to say much. See if they will provide a list of recent graduates and call them.

Well good luck we sure do need more good tech's in Mass.