Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    I'm new to the field and have about 8 months eperience and 2 weeks trade school. I've been offered a job as a start up man for a local ac company. he says they are very large homes, 4 - 5 units per home. what all do start ups consist of? are there any kind of check lists or anything of that sort? Thanks

Originally posted by pdavis6061980
    I'm new to the field and have about 8 months eperience and 2 weeks trade school. I've been offered a job as a start up man for a local ac company. he says they are very large homes, 4 - 5 units per home. what all do start ups consist of? are there any kind of check lists or anything of that sort? Thanks

If they are going to train you then thats ok but if you have to do it by yourself you don't have enough experience sorry.

I've been doing alot of preventative maintenances, installations on new and preexisting homes and have handled quite a few service calls as well. i just want to know what all start ups consist of, not whether or not i have enough experience. thanks

I think it would be fair to say that a start-up would consist of exactly what it sounds like. I would think you would be insuring that the unit has been properly sized and matched . You would want to make sure you have met the manufactures requirements for the installation, superheat / subcooling correct?

In other words you would be insuring that everything about the installation was according to code and the Manufactures recomendations

start ups

i do a lot of start ups for my company we have a start up sheet to list liquid and suction pressures comp.amps and such if you have the know how of low voltage wiring,cfms and freon pressures its fiarly simple at least it was for me only have 2 years exp. and no school pass freon cert.universal

Some manufacturers will have their startup form in the unit manual,if not go to their website and see if they have it there or call them to get it.

Originally posted by pdavis6061980

Are these a bunch of new homes in a new development?

your company should have one according to their contract

Easy money

If the install guys did their job, flip the breaker, turn the stat and collect your money......or you could KNOW what the hell everything is suppose to do and verify that it does. .....Take the money and run.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

I'm new to the field and have about 8 months eperience and 2 weeks trade school

You should be a helper you don't have eperience.

framehvac

Boy you are rather arrogant.

For all you know he may be smarter than you! and just wanted to check with the so called pros on this board to see how others did things.

I find your comments and others like yours rather rude and down right arrogant.

What is it with you HVAC contractors that makes you so mad at the world.. Come on now lighten up.

I am a member of other Boards covering subjects I have interests in and this is by far the most abusive board I have ever seen.

I was thinking I would get insight, Help and fun but sadly the attitude I find is almost exactly the same as what I find when I have the plumber or HVAC service person come to do work on my house. I gess it comes from years of dealing with cheep, pushy, demanding HO. But let me assure you that you would only come once to my house with that attitude!!!!

Sorry but I call it like I see it..

AB

Originally posted by andrew boyce
    framehvac

Boy you are rather arrogant.

For all you know he may be smarter than you! and just wanted to check with the so called pros on this board to see how others did things.

I find your comments and others like yours rather rude and down right arrogant.

What is it with you HVAC contractors that makes you so mad at the world.. Come on now lighten up.

I am a member of other Boards covering subjects I have interests in and this is by far the most abusive board I have ever seen.

I was thinking I would get insight, Help and fun but sadly the attitude I find is almost exactly the same as what I find when I have the plumber or HVAC service person come to do work on my house. I gess it comes from years of dealing with cheep, pushy, demanding HO. But let me assure you that you would only come once to my house with that attitude!!!!

Sorry but I call it like I see it..

AB

Hi AB,

After your other thread I think you should ask yourself…..Is this the kind of Contractor I want to hire??

The way I see it this kid has the drive, hell he’s on this site! And will most likely make a very good tech someday, however it sounds like the company he works for could give two hoots about training him, furthermore the company he works for REALLY could care less about YOU…..the HO!

I get very frustrated when I see this!

And then there’s a safety issue…………..

[Edited by pm4589 on 03-05-2005 at 08:35 PM]

8 monthes experence, what did you do in that time period.
    Install how many systems that you were lead.
    Fully understand your companies equipment, from the bottom of the line to the top.
    Are they already scheduling you for classes on their high end equipment.

Start up is easy and boring, until you discover the installers didn't do some thing right.

Avoid finger pointing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast