Condensation on a/c line set. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Puzzling problem, indeed, especially if it's a furnace with an A/C. I can't see any reason for the liquid line to collect condensation in heat.

Now, if it is a heat pump it's a different matter entirely.

Originally posted by trane
    Can you explain why I have two systems exactly the same and only one is doing this? So far the factory techs can't tell me what is causing this.
    i have ran across this problem more than once. in the off cycle the refrigerant goes to the lowest point, in this case the coil in the basement. when the furnace comes on it heats the indoor coil up raising the pressure, and forcing the refrigerant back to the outdoor unit. the refrigerant passes backwards through the metering device causing the gas to flash. i have seen it happen on a cap tube system, with an orifice (not enough pressure to shift piston), and once with a txv that didn't close completely. as for why you have one that does it and one that doesn't, without seeing them i don't know. i have seen the problem made worse due to outside air being tied into furnace return.
    i wanted to put a picture here

No outside air and these are frosting from the outside wall in. Right now we have the valves closed until the factory comes up with a solution. As soon as you open the valves the liquid line gets ice cold with the furnace and A/C both off.

for the refrigerant to move you have to have either a temp difference or a pressure difference, other wise the liquid will settle at the lowest point. if it settles on the evap coil in the off position, then when the heat comes on it will be driven outside. as the evap cools it will return to it.
    is yours frosting only from the wall, or does it go all the way back to the service valve? if only from the wall, and the outdoor temp and humidity are the same as the basements, it sounds like there is a restriction where the line passes thru the wall.
    i wanted to put a picture here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12