Thread: Lennox Pureair

Post Likes
    As undergrad at UW-Madison, I have done some research with PCO (primarily UV-B&C activated titania/zirconia oxide catalysts). As Lennox seems to have one of the more complete purification systems on the market, I am interested to learn more about the Pureair system. In regards to the catayst, what is the cell size of the mesh screen? Are there multiple layers? Does the activated catalyst facilitate a reaction site on its own or is the efficacy of the process primarily in the reactions of hydroxls with influent air?

Also, a concern of mine is PCOs creation of CO2 as a biproduct of the oxidation reaction. With global concerns over carbon emmissions, at what point must we reconsider PCO as a viable solution to the IAQ problem?

I welcome any opinions...

Post Likes
    I agree.

Post Likes
    Oh God, another engineer.
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by lonnirat
    Oh God, another engineer.
    Get a rope!

I'm kidding, welcome to the forum. Most of us here are just dumb techs, but there are some smart fellers here that may be able to answer your question.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tbnelson
    As undergrad at UW-Madison, I have done some research with PCO (primarily UV-B&C activated titania/zirconia oxide catalysts). As Lennox seems to have one of the more complete purification systems on the market, I am interested to learn more about the Pureair system. In regards to the catayst, what is the cell size of the mesh screen? Are there multiple layers? Does the activated catalyst facilitate a reaction site on its own or is the efficacy of the process primarily in the reactions of hydroxls with influent air?

Also, a concern of mine is PCOs creation of CO2 as a biproduct of the oxidation reaction. With global concerns over carbon emmissions, at what point must we reconsider PCO as a viable solution to the IAQ problem?

I work for a Lennox Dealer. If I replace the system comopnents on a regular basis ie filters and bulbs and generate sales that keeps him happy.

More of a Lennox Engineering question. Try them at 800 453 6669. would like to here what they have to say
    Learning is a lifelong process

Post Likes
    It seems as though a general conscensus has been arrived, a good slave applies the lotion (Silence Of The Lambs).

Post Likes

Tbnelson....

All humans exhale CO2 into the atmosphere.... What're you gonna suggest we do - kill ourselves to save the ozone?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tbnelson

For optimum indoor air quality, I prefer filtered, fresh air ventilation with enough dehumidification to maintain less than 50%RH in the home during the damp time of the year. This purges the indoor pollutants as well as replacing the oxygen occupants need. PCOs slowly oxidize the organic compounds to CO2 and H2O without providing oxygen or humidity control. Purging pollutants, replacing O2, and humidity control, preventing mold and dust mites are much more important for indoor air quality. The rest of the IAQ gadgets keep us alive fincially until homeowners need our heating/cooling services. If we have mold growth and dust mites in the home, whats the value of any air filtering equipment in the home?

Post Likes
    The question about CO2 is now a moot point. I just found out that due to cost Lennox no longer uses the Titanium Dioxide in the filter they use some cheap silver painted particles. Since without the Titanium Dioxide to create a PCO reaction the unit is now worthless. That includes all of the existing units that were sold with the original grids when they are replaced with the new fake stuff.

Now if some one has other info let me know but this came from a reliable source. The Lennox people told me last year that they were changing the material in the grid but it would work just as well. From what I have been told they are being miss led or are lying.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in