Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Geer does the one thing he knows how to do. He ridicules, mocks and derides others. It is a rare occasion where he actually has a logical and coherent point.
    he's only going to defend the constitution where he mis interprets it. as long as CONGRESS doesn't establish a national religion, the seperation of church and state is fulfilled!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Why would anyone want a cross beside a road that would remind them of a lost loved one. That's what cemetaries are for . When yo die you are buried and soon forgotten. Any memories of a past loved one should dwell in your head, not on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Why would anyone want a cross beside a road that would remind them of a lost loved one. That's what cemetaries are for . When yo die you are buried and soon forgotten. Any memories of a past loved one should dwell in your head, not on the side of the road.
    Obviously the Utah State Police, the families of fallen troopers and the land owners where troopers have died in the line of duty do not share your sentiment. Since you don't have anything to do with any of this, why should your opinion count? Those of us who are outside of this can only support those who these memorials are important to or to let others take away their right to memorialize their fallen comrades and family members.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Well just maybe we are all not the same ace. I believe this is called understanding others and their feelings. Not to difficult for most of us ace. Boy you need rehab. Geeze. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

We had the same thing out here in Texas and of course the State backed down and now we have crosses all over our highways. They are a major distraction and should be removed. I thought you guys followed the Bible and what It says about the dead.

We had the same thing out here in Texas and of course the State backed down and now we have crosses all over our highways. They are a major distraction and should be removed. I thought you guys followed the Bible and what It says about the dead.
    This is not about make shift memorials for traffic accident victims. This is about professionally manufactured memorials for troopers who die in the line of duty protecting citizens.

My back and leg are really killing me. Could you please send me some of those painkillers you are obviously taking every ten minutes?

This all started with Lady Di, and all the people that were heartbroken by her death. Since they were not part of the funeral they did the group hug thing and started leaving piles of flowers on the street to fill the hole her passing left in their lives.

Since then people think they should share their grief with the rest of the world. As if we need these people's passing to touch our lives. At one time you would put a memorial at a grave site, you could go talk the person buried there, it was the acceptable thing to do.

But now we have to broadcast it to the world. Now when someone dies the first thing that happens is a facebook page is put up for all to learn every detail of their passing, their life and the people they knew. Also all the other drive by friends can give their two cents, the more the better.

Our city has come to a compromise. If a memorial gets put up it has a one year shelf life. After a year it comes down. If you can not get a handle on things by that time go get help.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    This all started with Lady Di, and all the people that were heartbroken by her death. Since they were not part of the funeral they did the group hug thing and started leaving piles of flowers on the street to fill the hole her passing left in their lives.

Since then people think they should share their grief with the rest of the world. As if we need these people's passing to touch our lives. At one time you would put a memorial at a grave site, you could go talk the person buried there, it was the acceptable thing to do.

But now we have to broadcast it to the world. Now when someone dies the first thing that happens is a facebook page is put up for all to learn every detail of their passing, their life and the people they knew. Also all the other drive by friends can give their two cents, the more the better.

Our city has come to a compromise. If a memorial gets put up it has a one year shelf life. After a year it comes down. If you can not get a handle on things by that time go get help.
    That's all well and good. These are not ordinary people who died from ordinary means. These are people who put their lives on the line every day in order to keep the citizens of their area safe. These are people who lost their lives while protecting others. If one group is allowed to take away the rights of memorials being erected to honor fallen servants of the citizens, then we are in danger of any and all rights becoming uselessly at the mercy of a whim from any fringe group of people with a gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    That's all well and good. These are not ordinary people who died from ordinary means. These are people who put their lives on the line every day in order to keep the citizens of their area safe. These are people who lost their lives while protecting others. If one group is allowed to take away the rights of memorials being erected to honor fallen servants of the citizens, then we are in danger of any and all rights becoming uselessly at the mercy of a whim from any fringe group of people with a gripe.
    Why do we not put a memorial for everyone that died in service for their country, whether it was as a soldier, cop, paramedic, hit on the side of the road, nurse that contracted TB from a infected patient that comes in an hospital emergency department, bus driver that...

And what is the real purpose behind these memorials? We managed without them well enough all these years without them.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    I like that approach, theres hope for them Canadians yet!

We have a roadside memorial in our area where two highway patrolmen on motorcycles were gunned down by Bonnie & Clyde. Its somewhat inconspicuous so most travelers never see it.

i agree

memorials today and everything else the dont idealize tomorrow....

ie. guns, civil liberty, right to drink coke at school what next ?

my kids have a lot to think about.

Well, these people,public service, don't put there life on the line any more than ordinary people who work everyday. And they are not forced to do the job they have. Memorials belong in cemetaries or in front of public building , not on the side of the road

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast