Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Any thoughts on Goodman as a brand

I am being quoted a goodman dual fuel heatpump/gas furnace system. I've not ever heard of goodman (not that I would have I guess)

How does this brand compare to the others that spend lots of money on making me aware (advertising) - Carrier, Lennox, Bryant, Rheem, York, Coleman etc...

If the system is properly sized (your contractor should have sized the system using Manual J), then a quality installation is the key.

Crappy installation = crappy product (no matter what brand)

i like goodman equipment. you are going to hear alot of people say bad things but i install alot of goodman equipment and ive never been disapionted with there stuff. and you cant beat the warranty they offer i mean just ask if anybody offers a lifetime warranty on thier compressors and see what they say because goodman does. but what it really boils down to is the installation because regardless of what brand you use if not properly installed than its going to be a crapy system. i install just about every brand out there and there are pros and cons to every brand but i really think for the price and the warranty goodman is very competitive. if you hear anyone push one brand over the others its usually because the are a dealer of that brand. make sure you get a good contractor to do the install thats the biggest thing to worry about.

I feel confident in the installer...Just concerned on the brand.

Goodman wouldn't be my first choice, or second choice, or third choice, or fourth choice, or fifth choice, but maybe my sixth choice, but that's just my opinion. I personally don't feel they're constructed as well as other equipment out there, and therefore they are less expensive than other systems. The key is a quality install. You could the "Cadillac" of all systems, but if it's not installed properly, it's no better than a Pinto.

Goodman is fine. You get what you pay for. All brands have "issues".
    Just don't go with the low bid.
    Ask if they will do a load calculation, flow nitrogen while brazing, and evacuate to at least 500 microns, and can if they can determine your economic balance point to properly set up the heat pump.
    If those questions scare them, find another installer.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Seaton will do a good job for you.

Goodman is not one of your higher tier brands, but on a budget its a great bang for your buck. We sell quite a few and have some failures, but within reason. I wouldn't be shy of Goodman.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

I just installed a Goodman 95% gas furnace, along with a 14 seer 3 ton heat pump, when combined with the evap coil and txv I got, gives me 15 seer. I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality. Of course, with my luck, my compressor locked up after a week. Can't blame Goodman for a Copeland scroll. Lifetime warrentee on the compressor and heat exchanger is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I am being quoted a goodman dual fuel heatpump/gas furnace system. I've not ever heard of goodman (not that I would have I guess)

How does this brand compare to the others that spend lots of money on making me aware (advertising) - Carrier, Lennox, Bryant, Rheem, York, Coleman etc...
    Goodman is offering special pricing for a 10 year labor warranty threw the end of the year. Ask your contractor about it, its a great deal!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Goodman is offering special pricing for a 10 year labor warranty threw the end of the year. Ask your contractor about it, its a great deal!
    Its absolutely worth the money, one repair and it will pay for its self.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Quote Originally Posted by big sky hvac View Post
    Goodman wouldn't be my first choice, or second choice, or third choice, or fourth choice, or fifth choice, but maybe my sixth choice, but that's just my opinion. I personally don't feel they're constructed as well as other equipment out there, and therefore they are less expensive than other systems. The key is a quality install. You could the "Cadillac" of all systems, but if it's not installed properly, it's no better than a Pinto.

Had to be one of ya on here.

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post

Depending on the grade of Goodman your contractor quoted you...Goodman is good equipment. They have greatly improved over the recent years...one of the biggest and best changes they made was going from the Bristol compressor to the Copeland compressor. Copeland is owned by Emerson and quality is top.

Goodman, like most other manufactures, offers different levels of quality or grade.

Truth be known, when comparing apples to apples all manufactures are pretty much on a level playing field in terms of quality when it comes to residential. This is due to the fact most of them incorporate components and boards made by the same company.

It comes down to quality of installation and warranty offer.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast