Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys

Looking for some advice. I graduated from trade school a year ago with a real great group of guys. After almost a year in the field, many have basically said "screw this". Their reasoning isn't the low pay at first, but what they have been told is continued low pay for the work that is being done. This isn't 1 or 2 guys, but actually 6. They say compare 5 years experience in the field with working for Fedex or the Post Office and you'll be making more money working for the latter. I'm not really sure how to respond to them and since I lurk here all the time, I was looking for some advice from the knowledable group here. I wanted to get some good advice for my buddies as I'm really not sure if they're being misled. I'm from Jersey which is where my friends also work. Thanks guys.

The hvac field is just a low paying trade in most cases.

try a union or other company,but a year exp is always going to be low paying at first.Hold on its gets better.The more money more problems to deal with.Trust me

Kinda funny hearing that , I really feel that its not all what it use to be. Im not sure if that all changed when every distributor started carrying premade fittings? Now a heating company barely needs sheet metal equipment. Use to try to get large enogh to have more employees but now I dont even want a couple like I use to. It just seems like it is getting to be more hassel then its worth with more red tape and rules that makes it less profitable. As far as something with retirement and benifits.......pretty sure this is not it lol.

Been in it ten years and make 5 more an hour than a friend who has worked for fed ex for 15 years. Most people dont want to have to apply themselves to advance. You have to in this field. Youve got to study at home or go to school, learn the new stuff, learn the old stuff you've never seen, learn how to deal with people and on and on and on. Cool thing is, it wont be long and a good tech will be able to name his price and their will be co's competing over them. Just about like that now, but there are still alot of old dogs out there. Sure go to Fed ex or home depot, sleep through your days work, maybe one day be a manager, but if you dont enjoy what you do you're already dead. Where ever you are, be there.

Guess it just depends where you are and what part of the trade you work in. In our area a 1st year apprentice can start at $16.00/hr., double that in 4 years and be making $80,000 year before he knows it.
    Try to do that at the post office.
    At least at all the larger outfits that do commercial refrig./hvac work anyway, most are union but even the non-union larger shops have to keep up with the pay rates to keep the good techs.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Fed Ex driver make $26. an hour in wv so you make $31 an hour that good money.

Originally posted by budro
    Been in it ten years and make 5 more an hour than a friend who has worked for fed ex for 15 years. Most people dont want to have to apply themselves to advance. You have to in this field. Youve got to study at home or go to school, learn the new stuff, learn the old stuff you've never seen, learn how to deal with people and on and on and on. Cool thing is, it wont be long and a good tech will be able to name his price and their will be co's competing over them. Just about like that now, but there are still alot of old dogs out there. Sure go to Fed ex or home depot, sleep through your days work, maybe one day be a manager, but if you dont enjoy what you do you're already dead. Where ever you are, be there.

I'll second that,it takes a huge investment and you can only make that investment if you actually like it,if they are just looking at the short term dollar then they are not going to like the field,tell them to go back to college.On average the first five years don't pay a whole lot but neither does managing a McDonalds, and the giy at Fed ex can be a replaced by anyone that can walk and has a drivers license

[Edited by fat eddy on 03-04-2005 at 06:48 AM]

The pay will come with experience. You get 5 years under you and you can work where you want and demand a good salary. Hell, you can even start your own business. Let's see Fedex or postal employee do that.

Besides the pay, you get to do a job where the work is challenging and you actually need a skill to do it.

Hang in there, not for the money but, for the love of the job. This field is so wide open to so many possibilities. 250 ton screw chillers, DDC management and maintenance, residential, light commercial, hydronics, ductwork, installations, air balancing. You have more opportunities to do a job that is far more rewarding than any other delivery driver or pencil pusher at a desk.

How many fedex drivers have a popular website that's as cool as this one?????
    Then again, if Tubgirl has a website, maybe everybody does somewhere!
    R2B4BTU

Originally posted by budro
    What he said! If your friends want a job in which they can be status quo and get the 2% or 3% raise every other year then they should move on. In this field if you apply yourself and work hard the money will follow and you'll never be without a job.
    What tends to happen in areas where there is not a significant labor shortage is companies want to pigeon hole people to keep costs down. You can start there in instalation and get stuck there....for years. Ya gotta get into service even if it means starting at less pay up front. Again, if you apply yourself you'll advance faster this way.

Good post Otto......
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Talking Re : Hey Guys

One word to sum it up EDUCATION , the more you know the more you are worth. But do not get cockey thinking you know it all, there is so much comming out everyday. And remember this site it is the best thing I have found. I learn something new from it everyday. IT'S THE BOMB.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

I can't thank you guys enough for your replies. I'm just gonna e-mail each of them with a link to this website and topic. Hopefullty it helps. Thanks again guys. For me personally to come home each day with a sense of accomplishment and self pride isn't something that you can put a price on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast