ICP CHP042 HP System Diagnosis

Greetings everyone,

I am a fairly new homeowner of an all electric heating system using a HP (CHP042AKC3) and resistive strips as backup. I'm a research scientist and understand electromagnetics and thermodynamics, but this HVAC system is the first that I've really had any experience with, and I'm trying to learn a little more about it before making a decision that could end up being fairly expensive.

The system has been very loud this winter (the first since I bought the home) and I have noticed a pulsing vibration from the unit, especially when it goes into defrost mode. Like I said, I didn't have much experience with HVAC, and didn't feel comfortable attempting any diagnosis on my own. I called out a tech last week, who took some electrical measurements in various modes at an outdoor temp of about 15 degF, his conclusions:

"Compressor rated 24.1A, pulling 20.8A. Outdoor fan rated 1.9A, pulling 1.4A. Blower motor rated 4.3A, pulling 3.6A. Unit working properly in all modes."

Now, I asked about how he determined the "rated" current, and he said he used the data plate on the actual equipment. I've seen some discussion on here about how a good tech would always use the tech data

(http://icpindexing.mqgroup.com/docum...2843320103.pdf)

I have to admit that I don't understand much of this tech data, aside from a few specs here and there. Is the diagnosis appropriate in this case? Could someone help walk me through reading the tech data?

The tech's recommendation was to move my HP to a proper installation. Right now, it is mounted on metal bars to the side of the house, which I understand is almost certainly ringing in hard operation, and the mounting is especially rigid in these cold, icy conditions. I'm realizing that there was little to no vibration / noise consideration in the installation, it appears to be the quick and dirty solution that still technically meets code. The lineset was also originally clamped under my floor joists with rigid J brackets and I had some nice vibration in my floor too, until I replaced the brackets with nylon straps.

I will probably have them do this, and they've estimated about xxxx for this job (pad, pump ups, extend the line). But I wanted to see if anyone here had a different opinion about the electrical diagnosis of this system. Is my tech looking deep enough into this, or do we need to go to the next level of examining operating points?

Also, should I try to track down the original system installer? House was built in 2005/06 and it might be in a warranty, although I don't know how that applies to me, the new buyer.

Thanks, I hope to have some interesting discussion, and learn more about my system.

Pricing Removed
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 12-29-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: removed pricing

Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I read and responded to that thread

That was my first post on this forum, and your posts, along with hvacvegas's, are what got me thinking about the installation characteristics, and how they could be exacerbating the problem.

Sorry mods for putting the price in there, wasn't really asking for anyone's opinion on that.

The other part I'm interested in though, is understanding my system's operating point based on the data gathered by the tech, and referencing the manual to determine whether it is truly operating as it should. If it's warranted, I'd like to take a deeper look into the data. This part of my thread is more a question of efficiency and operability.