Thread: 14 SEER AC unit

Hybrid View

Do you automatically get a Thermal Expansion valve on the evaporator coil when you install a 14 or higher SEER AC unit? Carrier is the manufactorer.
    Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    coldbud,

Hurry and reply before fat eddy returns!LOL

I would think it would be required to get 14.0 SEER,and the dealer would no it needs to be installed or comes with the model ordered.

Is it a heat pump,or gas furnace with a coil?Can you post the model numbers.

Depends upon the brand. Goodman had some matches where a huge piston coil would get 14 SEER. Other brands not only required a TXV coil but a VS indoor blower. Fishy, huh

dash
    lol
    58cva090-16 gas furnace
    cased coil # I think is cd5axa036017
    Performance 14, 2.5 or 3 ton
    nothing fishy going on BL, just could not reached contractor today. I know Carrier has an Accurater or something and I did not know if it was standard or not on certain sizes of AC unit.
    Thanks for responding.

Oops, coil # may have been for a 13!!

We don't sell a lot of gas furnaces ,so if I'm reading it correctly,the 2.5 ton ,is 15.0SEER ,and the 3 ton is 14.5 SEER,both require a Puron accessory TXV.Not rated without the TXV,plus Performance Seris could be a different model,I used 38TSA030/036 outdoor units.

dash,
    huh? un huh, right, uh huh, right, right. What did you say? No, I'm joking. I understand. I thought it was the TXA series. I will talk with my contractor tomorrow, I'm sure he will explain everything to me. But it seems like you are saying the 2.5 ton is only for a 15 SEER? Right
    Thanks

The real question is, why wouldn't you want/demand a TXV, even if the efficiency requirements can be met without one?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by coldbud
    dash,
    huh? un huh, right, uh huh, right, right. What did you say? No, I'm joking. I understand. I thought it was the TXA series. I will talk with my contractor tomorrow, I'm sure he will explain everything to me. But it seems like you are saying the 2.5 ton is only for a 15 SEER? Right
    Thanks

That's the probelm,with Carriers using terminology like performance seris,it can be more than one model number.

TXA series with the coil mentioned,with added TXV,2.5 ton=14.0SEER,3 ton=13.0SEER

Thanks Guy's
    I would like to go on record and say that the pro's on here really know their craft. And for the most part do not mind helping the HO's with their questions. You know who they are, just read their posts. HO's just leave the how much $$$ ? out of it. When in doubt call a professional HVAC person. Heck call more than one, and be prepared to pay a pro for his service. I certainly have a better idea as to how to spend my hard earned money for my HVAC system.
    Thanks again