Recurring crack at suction line to Accumulator

Background: Carrier Infinity 25HPA336A Heat Pump which is only 4.5 years old but has had the system go flat twice because of a crack at the suction line to the accumulator. The system has twice had the crack soldered back up and recharged. The heat pump is now icing over again and my bets are that I have another crack at the same spot (pics included).

I am guessing the issue is with the compressor in that its vibrations are causing these issues but could it be something else? What are my options? Should I get the whole unit replaced and should it be covered under warranty? This thing is driving me crazy and draining my money, I would just like to go one year without having any HVAC issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by bpp View Post
    Background: Carrier Infinity 25HPA336A Heat Pump which is only 4.5 years old but has had the system go flat twice because of a crack at the suction line to the accumulator. The system has twice had the crack soldered back up and recharged. The heat pump is now icing over again and my bets are that I have another crack at the same spot (pics included).

I am guessing the issue is with the compressor in that its vibrations are causing these issues but could it be something else? What are my options? Should I get the whole unit replaced and should it be covered under warranty? This thing is driving me crazy and draining my money, I would just like to go one year without having any HVAC issues.
    OMG, that's lot of ice.

I don't thinnk it is freon. It more likely defrost issue.

You replace the entire piece of copper when there's a crack on a line. You don't simply solder the hole up and move on. The crack goes all the way through and are only fixing the surface when soldering. It's still beneath the surface and will continue to move until it's removed.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You replace the entire piece of copper when there's a crack on a line. You don't simply solder the hole up and move on. The crack goes all the way through and are only fixing the surface when soldering. It's still beneath the surface and will continue to move until it's removed.
    I will take a look at that but I think there could be something more to it since the original line cracked so early. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by bpp View Post
    I will take a look at that but I think there could be something more to it since the original line cracked so early. Thanks for your help.
    Don't read too much into it unless the compressor sounds like a steam engine on the side of your house. It's just a crappy piece of copper from the factory. It could be too thin there from the bending of it or might have some impurities in the copper. I will tell you now from experience that soldering the spot of the crack will not fix the problem. It will continue to do the same thing until you replace the entire section of copper. You can spin your wheels and waste your time all you want. But if it is leaking there before and again. then that is what needs to be done.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

OP, good advice here.

Don't read too much into it unless the compressor sounds like a steam engine on the side of your house. It's just a crappy piece of copper from the factory. It could be too thin there from the bending of it or might have some impurities in the copper. I will tell you now from experience that soldering the spot of the crack will not fix the problem. It will continue to do the same thing until you replace the entire section of copper. You can spin your wheels and waste your time all you want. But if it is leaking there before and again. then that is what needs to be done.
    Dabbing solder (or brazing material) on a crack is kinda like a 'duct-tape' repair of a garden hose... guaranteed to leak sooner or later.

Have the installing co replace the accumulator and co line on both sides... If they fuss, call the factory customer service rep. Amazing how quickly a quality repair happens when the guys up the ladder get involved.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14